Transferring Ringtones Purchased from iTunes to iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by 8theapple, Feb 8, 2010.

1. 8theapple macrumors regular

Hey everyone.
    I feel silly for asking this question but I've spent an hour now googling to death how to transfer ringtones I've puchased from iTunes onto my iPhone 3GS. I've done everything possible. I've renamed the files to M4R as suggested from m4u. I've just dragged onto the iphone in devices and not in the music library or ringtone library and nothing. Under the Ringones tab on the iphone when connected to iTunes shows no ringtones.

Does anyone have any sggestions?

2. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

I've never purchased Ringtones, because it's totally free just to take my own music and use iTunes to make ringtones (try it sometime), but isn't a ringtone bought from iTunes in the proper format (m4r)? So, I would think when you purchase it, it's in the ringtones section of iTunes, ready for you to sync. No?

3. 8theapple thread starter macrumors regular

Yes, that's exactly what I initially thought. I looked at the format of the ringtone purchased and it is the right format. Ugh. This is really frustrating. Something so simple.

4. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

So, did it download as an m4r? Where is it in finder? If it's an m4r, you should be able to double click on it, and it'll show up in iTunes as a ringtone.

5. 8theapple thread starter macrumors regular

it downloaded as M4u and i renamed to M4R as well..and it doesn't work. This is silly. I just want a professional business ringer. I don't want a song or anything. All the ringers on the ipHone are junk.

6. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Well, you can't change m4u to m4r like that. You can do that with an m4a file. Like I said, I've not downloaded ringtones, but what you can do unless someone steps in and tells you something different is to convert the m4u to mp3 and then convert mp3 to m4r. Google "m4u to mp3" converter and "mp3 to m4r" converter.

7. mariadavid202 macrumors newbie

hi..

It should be very simple (i think)... just double click on it, and it'll show up in iTunes as a ring tone....

Maria
    :)