Transferring saved content from DVR to Mac??

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Aniej, Apr 14, 2007.

1. Aniej macrumors 68000

Aniej

I have a few programs on my DVR that I would like to transfer to my Mac so that I can save them because the current DVR I have is experiencing several problems and the cable provider is going to swap it out. Unfortunately, this means the content is going to go with it unless I do something about it. Fortunately, I will now get to learn a new Mac trick if someone is able to point me in the right direction as how to accomplish this.

FYI I did a brief search on this question both on here and google, only the latter of which provided any sort of answers. It appears that I will need a firewire, which is no problem, VLC play which is not a problem again. The instructions I found were pretty convoluted and a bit outdated (2004), which made me cautious and turn to my usual source of info.

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Which DVR is it? Do you know for sure that it actually outputs on the Firewire port?

B

3. Aniej thread starter macrumors 68000

Aniej

Cable provider is Comcast and the DVR is by Motorola and has a dual tuner; I can't give you the exact model number of the DVR b/c it is all wired up and hard to access, but if it is critical I will find a way. Hopefully that helps narrow it down. I know for sure it has firewire, and based on what I have read, Comcast is one of the companies that typically leaves this enabled. Thanks for your quick reply.

4. Aniej thread starter macrumors 68000

Aniej

Balamw, any insight now that I gave you the details?

5. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member