Transferring Select Settings

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bpetruzzo, Feb 16, 2011.

1. bpetruzzo macrumors regular

I recently added a 27" iMac to my office, replacing my late 2008 MBP as primary machine. Following the advice of one of the guy at the Genius Bar, I wiped the MBP clean and did a fresh install of Snow Leopard.

I'm finding now that while I don't really want all the files and such back, I do want some of the miscellaneous settings. Like, my bookmarks and such in Safari, or my Dock preferences, my imap accounts in mail ect.

Is there an app that will let you copy over select settings, or are there some plists that I can go and copy over or something?

2. Detrius macrumors 68000

You absolutely can, but for things like Dock settings, you can't be logged in when you do it. Everything you're asking about is somewhere in ~/Library. For Mail and Safari, you should be able to copy things over while logged in, so long as the applications themselves are closed.

I've not tried a selective transfer like this, but your mailboxes are in ~/Library/Mail, and your bookmarks are in ~/Library/Safari. I don't know if you'll also need something from ~/Library/Preferences, but the only way to know is to try.