Transferring songs from ipod touch to macbook pro

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by jason42892, Jun 17, 2010.

1. jason42892 macrumors newbie

I recently got a macbook pro and i want to transfer songs from my ipod touch to my computer. What should i do to transfer these songs?

2. JediMeister macrumors 68040

Depends, are these songs purchased from iTunes? If so, while the iPod is connected by USB, authorize the computer with your iTunes account from the Store menu, and from the File menu, select Transfer Purchases from iPod. If you have non-iTunes content, you need to use Senuti or iRip or something similar to those two to grab the music onto your computer.

3. jason42892 thread starter macrumors newbie

Would using a firewire cable to connect my laptop to the desktop where all my songs are, work as well?

4. kujayhawk macrumors newbie

i havent done this in a while but I know a couple years ago there was a program called iPodRip, you might want to look that up and give it a try

5. JediMeister macrumors 68040

Sure you could use Target Disk Mode to copy the ~/Music folder from one computer to another, as long as they're both Macs. I didn't mention that at first because your initial question was how to get songs from the iPod to a computer, not from computer to computer.

@kujayhawk: iPodRip is only for Windows. Doesn't list Mac-compatible in the system requirements. Senuti and iRip on the other hand are Mac-compatible.