Transferring Time Machine Backups...

Discussion in 'macOS' started by illegalprelude, Aug 25, 2009.

1. illegalprelude macrumors 68000

illegalprelude

Ok so I have a 1TB external drive hooked up via Firewire 800 to my PMG5 and I just got a new 2TB external drive hooked up via Firewire 400. Im trying to transfer the old backup to the new drive (around 800GB) and after 2 attempts, each lasting around 15 hours, nothing happens.

It just stays stuck on the transfer screen "preparing copy to" and states like 350,000 files and just pends there.

Finder is not crashed either. First time, i thought it was maybe because i had Time Machine still backup so the 2nd time, i turned it off and still the same. You see it scan and get to the 350k files and then it just sits there....

Am I missing something? or can I not just Copy, Paste the backup from one drive to another?

2. Felder71 macrumors member

I'd try using Disk Utility to restore. You'd restore the old Time Machine HD to the new one. Also, make sure Time Machine is turned off. The other option is to use SuperDuper to create a clone of the old drive onto the new one. Copy and paste is probably a bad idea.

3. illegalprelude thread starter macrumors 68000

illegalprelude

yea...I tried with turning Time Machine off as well and no go.

I went into disk utility but had no clue what I was doing in terms of copying stuff. Didn't even you know could in there so I then even tried Carbon Copy and about 12hrs later, it was still stuck at 650MB or something and wouldn't go past it so i've still basically had no luck.

4. uaecasher macrumors 65816

uaecasher

Just wondering What HD brand do you use?

5. illegalprelude thread starter macrumors 68000

illegalprelude

currently, both are the Western Digital MyBook units. The 1TB is about 2 years old now and was just a normal PC one while the new 2TB is designed for Macs (aka, just came preformated for OSX lol).

1TB drive is hooked up via Firewire 800
    2TB drive is hooked up via Firewire 400