Transferring to a 3S

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Philpug, Aug 1, 2012.

1. Philpug macrumors member

Long story short, I am using a loaner 3S until the 5 comes out. I had a 4 that drowned. I got a new SIM card installed, that is fine. When I went to put my info on the new loaner phone, iTunes gave the option on NEW INSTALL or Transfer from "Old Phones name". I tried the latter. I got a warning, "because of software you need to do a new intsall. I gave the phone a new name and did the install. All is (basically) fine but all of my contacts didnt come over just the group that was on my mac vs. my whole library that was in iCloud..along with my favorites. I cannot find where or how I can access my whole library of contacts.

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Make sure you update your 3GS to the latest 5.1.1 if that's what you meant by 3S above.
    Then you can restore it using your iphone 4 backup.

3. Philpug thread starter macrumors member

It says 4.2.1 is the correct version. Could it be that the phone is a 3 and not a 3s?

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, it sure is an iphone 3G. Not a 3GS.
    And thus you cannot restore your iphone 4 backup file to an older firmware version as 4.2.1

5. Philpug thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, I just have to live with it for a few couple of weeks till the 5 comes out. First world problems. :cool: