Transferring to iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by macguy11, Dec 1, 2012.

1. macguy11 macrumors member

Hi guys,

I just ordered my first iMac (27" i7, fusion drive) and I wanted to get some opinions and tips on getting files to my new computer from my old MacBook Pro.

I would be inclined to do a Time Machine transfer but I have a feeling that I want to start fresh. My only issue is that since I'm a music producer, I have a lot of programs / plug ins etc that I'm not sure how to transfer over.

What are the benefits / drawbacks of timemachines? Will it bring a bunch of old junk to my new computer and slow it down right out of the gate?

Thanks.

2. hacke macrumors member

Just use CarbonCopyCloner and build a 1:1 copy and you've your complete system cloned.

If you want to do a fresh install there will be no way around to copy/paste all your stuff you need and set your OS up.

3. macguy11 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the reply. Do you know if I'd have to reinstall programs such as Logic Pro and other VSTs I have for that if I've already used a serial key for my MBP? How does that process work? I don't mind copy / pasting stuff as most of my important things are on an external.

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

It depends. Most Apple and third party apps come over no problem. But some apps, particularly Microsoft and Adobe apps seem to be picky and want the serial number reentered.

If you are not having any trouble with your machine now, I would just use the Migration Assistant to bring everything over. Much easier, particularly if you are not familiar with the ins and outs of OS X.

5. Rgladman macrumors regular

In the past I have used the setup assistant that runs the first time you boot a new Mac.

Read this article. http://pondini.org/OSX/Setup.html