Other Transferring to new phones - where did I go wrong?

ericg301

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 15, 2010
Got the wife and I new phones (xs and xr) on Monday. I expected a smooth transfer process from our iPhone 7 devices. Unpaired watches, placed the old phones near the new ones and let them do their things.

After going through that process though, not everything transferred over. My wife lost most of her saved game data and app passwords. Watches didn’t transfer over all — I had to set them both up as new.

Five days later, at least a couple times a day now she complains about something not set up right. This morning it was her calendars.

Anyway, where did I go wrong? I thought the transfer process these days was supposed to be pretty seamless. It took us both hours to get them set up how we wanted them.

chabig

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2002
It is normally seamless. Did you have iCloud turned on for all of those services--Photos, Mail, Contacts, Calendars, Reminders, Notes, Messages, Safari, News. Stocks, Home, Health, Wallet, Game Center, Siri, Keychain, and iCloud Backup? I'm not actually even sure you have to have those iCloud services on as long as you have iCloud backup working.

Reactions: uknation87

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors 604
Feb 14, 2008
Madison, WI
Well if there's nothing from the past couple of days you'd be bothered losing, I'd suggest restoring the new phones and setting them up from a backup of your 7s. I can't say for sure if this would alleviate any of the issues you're experiencing but I'm sure it's a more complete migration method than the "proximity setup".

Reactions: eyoungren

eyoungren

macrumors Core
Aug 31, 2011
ten-zero-eleven-zero-zero by zero-two
Well if there's nothing from the past couple of days you'd be bothered losing, I'd suggest restoring the new phones and setting them up from a backup of your 7s. I can't say for sure if this would alleviate any of the issues you're experiencing but I'm sure it's a more complete migration method than the "proximity setup".
Yeah, I understand this new proximity transfer thing. But restoring from a backup is my idea of the best way to do this. Particularly, if you just made the backup five minutes before hand on the old phone.

Reactions: Newtons Apple

Jordan921

macrumors 601
Jul 7, 2010
Bay Area
I had the same issues this time around doing it with an iCloud backup. Previous phones I restored from backup on my MacBook Air with no issues. This time around i had to log in to almost every single app I had. It was a headache.

ericg301

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 15, 2010
Yeah, I understand this new proximity transfer thing. But restoring from a backup is my idea of the best way to do this. Particularly, if you just made the backup five minutes before hand on the old phone.
Yeah that’s what I should have done. A direct iCloud restore.

I wasn’t entirely sure how the proximity setup worked - I thought it was a combination of iCloud.

Five days later, we have most of everything setup, but it’s been a pain. Will have to redo our respective RSA tokens for work on Monday.

Reactions: eyoungren