Transferring tv shows to ipod. Best settings?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by hugoreynolds, Jan 18, 2008.

1. hugoreynolds macrumors member

Hi, I'm using quicktime pro (paid 30 dollars for cos I thought it would be better than isquint) to export avi files into ipod compatible H.264 videos. This is taking about 24 hours in encode on a mac mini for a 25 minute tv show. Does it usually take this long or am I doing something dumb?

My settings are 750kbits/sec, 640 x 480VGA image size for use on tv output, optimized for download and two pass encoding with the restrict profiles to main ticked (whatever that means). My converted videos are coming out to about 200meg in size and look decent but I have every seinfeld to convert which will take me 200 days at this rate!

any tips?

2. IChing macrumors regular

3. hugoreynolds thread starter macrumors member

I've tried HandBrake but it does not open avi files, seems to only want to work with dvd media. went back to isquint and that takes less time, about 5 hours but the resulting file is over 100 megs larger than the quicktime pro ones. thanks though

4. IChing macrumors regular

You are right, sorry, I forgot about avi files not being included in handbrake. I found, like you, quicktime and iSquirt takes forever to convert those files. Hopefully, we can find a solution here.

5. hugoreynolds thread starter macrumors member

I think this is the best solution I have found so far, Elgato’s Turbo.264. It is designed to convert stuff for ipod and free up your macs processor. I've ordered one so fingers crossed....

6. britton45 macrumors newbie

try cosmopod it is free. you have to have the latest Safari to use it.
    it take about 10 minutes for a 1/2 hour show. take care tim