Transferring txt/sms (and others) between iPhones

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kinster, Aug 27, 2008.

1. kinster macrumors 6502a

kinster

I've synched and transferred from my old iPhone to the new one. How do I transfer other things such as txt messages and notes?

thanks

2. Nipz macrumors 65816

Nipz

Im afraid you cant.

Hopefully there will soon be able to sync Notes but as for Text haven't heard anything way of doing it of ever being able to.

3. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

Did you setup your new iPhone as a new phone? Or did you choose to set it up from a backup?

If you set it up your new iPhone from a backup of your old iPhone it'll transfer over all your notes and texts.

4. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

++++
    You can still do it, just restore and use your back-up...Everything will be there, just on your new phone.

5. goodcow macrumors 6502a

The SMS messages are stored in a MySQL database which is transferred to the MobileSync folder when iTunes does a backup.

You'd have to find which one it is, among thousands of files, and possibly copy it over. Not sure if it would work.

6. maxxscholten macrumors regular

Now this is a guy who knows what he's talking about!

7. Niiro13 macrumors 68000

That's exactly what he said....

8. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

What I'm trying to figure out is what he mean's by "synced" and "transffered" kinda sound's like it should already have his note's and texts.

9. Niiro13 macrumors 68000

Ahh, okay.

But yeah, to OP, basically the only thing you can really do is restore from backup unless you jailbreak it or maybe transferring using the applications that seem to work with the USB (like DiskAid).

10. iblastoff macrumors 6502

11. kinster thread starter macrumors 6502a

kinster

yes I did that, but had to do it as a 'new phone' as the new 3G was on an older version of firmware and wouldn't allow me to do it.

12. skabadelic macrumors member

I had a question similar to this, but I wasn't sure it belonged in this thread...so I made a new one. =/

I just want to save my SMS files. Mine copied over to the new phone just fine. I just don't want to lose some of my conversations.