Transferring very large files from Mac to PC

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by dhokes, Mar 31, 2013.

1. dhokes macrumors regular

Can anyone recommend any methods of trying to move 5Gb+ files from my Mac to my PC?

Does anyone use NTFS for Mac, and would you recommend it?

Thanks in advance.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Mac OS X can only read NTFS drives natively, but writing is possible via several methods.

NTFS (Windows NT File System)
    • Read/Write NTFS from native Windows.
    • Read only NTFS from native Mac OS X
      [*]To Read/Write/Format NTFS from Mac OS X, here are some alternatives:
      • For Mac OS X 10.4 or later (32 or 64-bit), install Paragon ($19.95) (Best Choice for Lion and Mountain Lion)
      • For Mac OS X 10.5 and later, including Lion, FUSE for OS X
      • For 32-bit Mac OS X, install NTFS-3G for Mac OS X (free) (does not work in 64-bit mode)
      • Some have reported problems using Tuxera (approx $36), which is an enhanced version of NTFS-3G with faster performance.
      • Native NTFS support can be enabled in Snow Leopard and later versions, but is not advisable, due to instability.
    • AirPort Extreme (802.11n) and Time Capsule do not support NTFS
    • Maximum file size: 16 TB
    • Maximum volume size: 256TB
    • You can use this format if you routinely share a drive with multiple Windows systems.

3. Dweez macrumors 65816

Dweez

Is networking not possible? How about an ExFat formatted USB drive?

4. dhokes thread starter macrumors regular

I've already read that but thanks. I was wondering if people have tried any of those and if so, which method they would recommend.

----------

I can't seem to wirelessly connect to the specific Windows 7 laptop and ExFat didn't seem to work but I might give it another go.

At the minute, I transfer the files wirelessly to another Windows PC and then transfer them to the Windows 7 laptop via a NTFS external harddrive.

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

ExFat works with Windows 7. You should give that another shot. Try formatting in ExFAT from Disk Utility on the Mac side.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Like many in this forum, I have used Paragon successfully for years. That's why I recommended it.

7. dhokes thread starter macrumors regular

Great. That worked. Thanks. :)

8. Runnernorth macrumors member

Hi, I know it's an old thread, but...... My transfer speed between Mac OSX 10.8 and Pc(Mac mini) windows 7 are so slow, 15-20 MB/sec, thou I'm using a gigabit wired LAN network, the hdd drives I'm using is thunderbolt hdd connected to my new iMac, and a USB 3.0 hdd, connected to my new Mac mini (running windows 7 in bootcamp)
    Do have any suggestions to what I'm doing wrong??
    Btw. The LAN wires are cat 5e, and the switches are Dlink gigabit, and a Netgear R6300 router....

Kindly
    Jan