Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

axeldtf

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 3, 2007
I've been trying to free up space on my iphone 8 plus. After shooting a lot of video and taking photos I usually connect my phone to my imac and transfer the files. Lately I've been looking for an on the fly when I'm traveling or just not near my computer. I've been uploading my videos to cloud sources like google drive and the box app but when I go to my computer to retrieve the video files and try to play them I get an error from quicktime saying "additional software is required". I also recently purchases a sandisk xpander drive and the video files are still giving me the same error. They will sometimes play with just audio. This does not happen when i'm hooked up directly via usb cable. I'm wondering if there is a workaround for this issue.

-I should mention that i've even tried to play these files in other apps like VLC and still no luck.-

Gwendolini

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2015
random
I can only share my experience with DropBox, as I use its Camera Upload feature (I also have the 1 TB plan), which works without hiccups for me.

What happens if you use the IMAGE CAPTURE app and a cabled connection? Can you play the copied video files then?

axeldtf

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 3, 2007
yea the image capture via usb cable works great.. just was looking for something more "on the go" without having to buy a laptop. I have dropbox but ran out of space. maybe i'll upgrade. Still would have liked this sandisk to work better.

ColdCase

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
NH
My spouse uses a Corsair Voyager Air 1TB to off load photos and videos. Seems to work well, its like a wireless NAS/media hub that the iPhone Voyager app accesses (stores video and photos other devices can view or download). Computers see the network drive via the typical network connection.

Reactions: axeldtf

axeldtf

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 3, 2007
My spouse uses a Corsair Voyager Air 1TB to off load photos and videos. Seems to work well, its like a wireless NAS/media hub that the iPhone Voyager app accesses (stores video and photos other devices can view or download). Computers see the network drive via the typical network connection.
Thanks for the tip... i'll check that out

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.