Transferring video from PC to Mac

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by absolut_mac, Jun 19, 2009.

1. absolut_mac macrumors 6502a

absolut_mac

I finally dumped my PC last week and bought a new Mac Mini. Even although I've been a Mac fan for ages - since I bought a Mac Book for my daughter about 6 years ago - I haven't used them much until now.

I have already transferred all of my files and documents over, and everything went as smoothly as expected. In fact my daughters pics, about 7 gig, took 1/2 an hour to copy to my 16 gig SanDisk Cruzer, yet it only took about 3 or 4 minutes to copy them from the Cruzer to the Mac. I am most impressed.

Now all I need to transfer are my video files. Quite a few are Quick Time files, so those obviously present no problem. So here's my 2 questions.

What is the best ap out there for doing this? I obviously don't want to degrade the quality of the videos and I intend to convert them all to Quick Time because of it's multi-platform simplicity and convenience.

My second question is do I convert them while they are still on my PC, or after I have transferred them to my Mac?

Thanks in advance for your help.

2. holidaypf macrumors member

The first thing you will want is Flip4Mac. That will allow you to play any .wmv files.

http://www.telestream.net/flip4mac-wmv/overview.htm

I also have found upgrading to QuickTime Pro to be well worth the money.

Guess we'll need to know more about your file types to answer whether you convert before or after transfer. I suspect you'll be able to play them all with one software or another on your Mac without any conversion.

3. arjen92 macrumors 65816

arjen92

4. absolut_mac thread starter macrumors 6502a

absolut_mac

Thanks for the info. I had QT Pro on my old PC and I will definitely be getting for my new Mac.

5. absolut_mac thread starter macrumors 6502a

absolut_mac

Thanks for the info.

For convenience when I play them. Plus having them all in QT makes sharing across platforms easy and convenient too.