iPad Transferring viruses to OS X and Windows?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by marty1990, Jan 16, 2014.

1. marty1990 macrumors 6502

I'm using my iPad right now. I'm logged into various accounts on it, from iCloud, to Netflix, to my email. A friend emailed me a link, and without thinking, I opened it. It opened numerous pages within Safari, a box appeared saying authentication required and a username and password dialogue box, which I cancelled, then a new page opened and - I have VirusBarrier installed - and it appeared saying open "filename".exe (I've forgotten the actual file name) with VirusBarrier, which I again cancelled, and a video started to play through GorillaVid I think, on another tab. There were also tabs open for lookalike Putlocker sites, genuine Putlocker, Novamov and other video file hosting sites. I'm guessing they were all popups, since there were other adult pop ups that appeared, also.

I've cleared my cache and cookies etc from settings withing Safari, I've deleted the email from my iPad also.

Now my question is whether or not something could have infected my iPad? I'm pretty sure I'm right in thinking that viruses can't run on iPads but I'm asking for when I plug this into my Mac or Windows machine - I use both intermittently. Could a virus or whatever transfer to either of those machines from my iPad? Also, the accounts that I'm logged in to on my iPad, could they be... I dunno... compromised? Like security details and whatnot. And if I check my email on another machine... an account can't be infected, can it? Nor can the emails that have been checked on the iPad, which also appear on one of my other machines... they can't be infected either, right?Same with forum accounts I'm logged in to. I don't know if any of this is possible and might sound a bit stupid asking but figured I'd try.

Thanks guys.

2. irnchriz macrumors 65816

irnchriz

Only the App Store can put applications onto your iPad, so you are safe. Unless it's jailbroken, if it is then there are potential security issues, but fairly unlikely that you would be hacked.

3. calvol macrumors 6502a

I swear once I had a virus infect a MS Win7 browser running on VMware Fusion that somehow got into the machine's Safari browser running OSX. It was one of those viruses that causes runaway key entries when trying to enter a browser address. Couldn't figure how that happened. I erased the VM and problem is gone.

4. seble macrumors 6502a

The post above isn't strictly correct. Nds4ios is an example of an emulator app that c be installed without jailbreaking, and isn't available on the app store.

Having said that however, I think your risk of having malware on the iPad is almost zilch. Also having said that, if you really are worried I suggest you reset all settings of your iPad, just incase a provisioning profile has been installed or something, resetting all settings should clear it.

5. marty1990 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks I'll reset my settings now.

And my accounts that are logged in on the iPad? Nothing could happen to them right? Like, I can still use my email/Netflix/Apple ID etc on my Mac and laptop with no concerns of anything causing problems on those machines?