Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tamillow

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 21, 2011
Hi, I am new here but I really needed to find a place to get my question answered.

I used my Iphone as a tape recorder for voice memos in one of my classes. I am an English teacher for ESL students. I would like to send them the files that we recorded so they have something to study with. However, the computer that my Iphone is synced with is broke. I'm in a foreign country where it is difficult to find someone to fix it and I decided to wait until I return to get that done.

So, I want to upload these files onto my computer WITHOUT syncing the Iphone. I haven't found any advice online about how to do this. I really need to get this done. I have about 7 gigs of music I don't want to lose so I don't intend to sync it.

Someone please help!

CSMchris376

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2010
Illinois
Voice memo gives you the option to email the memo, so you could email it to yourself and then save the voice memo attachments to your computer. Depending on how many individuals, you could just email them directly from your phone to your students.

When you are in voice memo, just touch the share button and email and MMS are the two options.

jonrando

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2011
There's currently no way to get voice memos onto your computer without syncing, although you can email them to your computer.

When iOS 5 comes out, you'll be able to wirelessly sync your iDevice to your computer.

lucied

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2013
Same problem

I have an iphone 4s and windows 7 comp, i want to transfer a voice memo which is only 5 mins long but it wont let me email or message it to anyone. Im scared too sync my itunes with the phone because it comes up with a message saying stuff on the phone will be deleted thats not on laptop... surely this means the voice memos will be deleted anyway then!?:confused:

maraburn

macrumors newbie
Jul 3, 2015
If you have few memos, try:
Choose the voice memo and tap the “Share” option to open the Share menu.
Tap “Message” to send the memo via iMessage to yourself or another recipient. Type the iMessage address, and then tap “Send” to send the memo. Tap “Email,” and then enter an email address to send the memo via email. Tap “AirDrop,” and then tap the receiving device to send the memo via AirDrop transfer.

If you have lots of voices memos, you try FonePaw iOS Transfer, which has the functions as iTunes, but won't sync your device.

Video:

bhayes444

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2013
If you have few memos, try:
Choose the voice memo and tap the “Share” option to open the Share menu.
Tap “Message” to send the memo via iMessage to yourself or another recipient. Type the iMessage address, and then tap “Send” to send the memo. Tap “Email,” and then enter an email address to send the memo via email. Tap “AirDrop,” and then tap the receiving device to send the memo via AirDrop transfer.

If you have lots of voices memos, you try FonePaw iOS Transfer, which has the functions as iTunes, but won't sync your device.

Video:
While I'm sure the OP might appreciate the advice. This post is from 4 years ago...

Reactions: Newtons Apple

Lee111

macrumors newbie
Sep 6, 2018
Yep, that is what a "search" will get you!:rolleyes:
Now we are even more than 7 years from then and yet there is no way to mass transfer my voice memos (over 100 of those taking 4Gb) to a Linux PC (where apparently I cannot install iTunes). I do have an external flash drive that I can connect to iPhone (6) but its App does not support voice memos. Any ideas will be greatly appreciated!

Minorite

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2018
Poland
Now we are even more than 7 years from then and yet there is no way to mass transfer my voice memos (over 100 of those taking 4Gb) to a Linux PC (where apparently I cannot install iTunes). I do have an external flash drive that I can connect to iPhone (6) but its App does not support voice memos. Any ideas will be greatly appreciated!

Had that pain when had only Ubuntu laptop, nothing except emailing unfortunately. I've found some old post on the web when a guy was able to install iMazing with Wine and it actually worked (it doesn't have default Linux compatibility), but I couldn't repeat it on my side. Don't know if it was PEBCAK issue or something related to Wine version/settings and Apple drivers.

Try to find PC or Mac and use third-party app like iMazing or any other with voice memos management to export voice memos to the external drive or USB stick, then transfer them to Linux computer. Should be the fastest way.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.