Transferring Windows 7 partition onto Bootcamp

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by borcanm, Jun 22, 2013.

1. borcanm macrumors regular

Hi I have a 2009 MBP with OSX 10.6 on it. What I want to know is if it's possible to create a windows 7 partition in either Parallels or VMware Fusion and then transfer than partition onto the Bootcamp partition. The reason is, is that the optical drive doesn't work anymore and so im having a hard time figureing out how to do it. I have an external Asus DVD drive & a 32Gb usb stick too, maybe I can do something with those.

Thanks for the assistance guys.

2. snaky69 macrumors 603

Nope, the other way around works fine though. Parallels and VMware do not create partitions and cannot be exported as a bootcamp partition.

3. borcanm thread starter macrumors regular

So I can use the external Asus dvd drive or the 32Gb stick to install windows on bootcamp? I read somewhere that it couldn't boot off external dvd or stick.

4. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

Since you have a 2009 MBP, booting from an external source might work. More modern systems have limitations when it comes to installing Boot Camp.

5. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Have you read the Boot Camp Install & Setup Guide? An excerpt from the guide: