Transferring Windows 7 to new hard drive

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MaxxTraxx, Apr 23, 2011.

1. MaxxTraxx, Apr 23, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2011

MaxxTraxx macrumors 6502

Hey,

I have a Mac with the original 250Gb drive but I am finding that I have ran out of space really fast. So I want to change the hard drive on it, BUT, I am running bootcamp on it with Windows 7.

When I replace the drive, is there anyway to transfer over my entire hard drive - Windows 7 included, without having problems with Windows? I don't want to have to reinstall it or anything.

Thanks

--Maxx

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

You can find software called winclone online, which will allow you to back up an image of your windows partition to your mac partition, then you just run the bootcamp assistant again when you have your mac stuff running, and quit it after it does the partitioning. Then you use winclone to put your image back on the bootcamp partition. As for the mac stuff, you can use Time machine if you have an external HD.

3. MaxxTraxx thread starter macrumors 6502

I thought Time Machine backed up my entire drive if I had it set to. Meaning Windows 7 should be ok.

4. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

Won't Carbon Copy Cloner allow you to make an exact duplicate of the hard drive? I've used it on drives with multiple partitions without issue so I don't see why it would be a problem.

5. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

It only backs up your Mac partition,

I used CCC before, and it did not back up my windows partition. Backing up windows partitions is not currently supported - reference here.

6. MaxxTraxx thread starter macrumors 6502

7. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

Interesting...so it can move OSX partitions but not Windows? Very Interesting...

8. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Not that I know of

Yep. I think it may have something to do with how OS X handles bootcamp, knowing that it's windows rather than just a random partition.