Transgaming/Cider SecuROM

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by Signal-11, Apr 3, 2009.

1. Signal-11 macrumors 65816

Signal-11

So what's the deal with SecuROM on the Transgaming/Cider ports?

Having recently returned to the world of electricity, running water and broadband internet, I was thinking about purchasing all the following games from gametreeoneline.com:

Prince of Persia
    Command & Conquer:Red Alert 3
    Jade Empire

But then I read about Transgaming putting SecuROM on all of their games. WTF? I thought that was a Windows only blight? Why does PoP have DRM when the Windows version doesn't? Is activation online-only?

I like the idea of supporting mac gaming but this kind of DRM is a dealbreaker for me.

2. alkar macrumors regular

Transgaming was kind enough to do the same as the PC version for PoP and it doesn't have any type of DRM at all (thanks Ubisoft too I guess for the pressure :p) I actually think it's a smart move from them and it deserves to be supported.

3. Signal-11 thread starter macrumors 65816

Signal-11

Yeah, sorry about the above. It started as a question about the nature of SecuROM on the Mac and if it existed for the above games but turned into a rant.

I want to buy these games but after the fiascos of the various nonsense DRM implementations on the PC, I'm not installing anything with intrusive DRM on any machine, end of story.

If PoP has no DRM, I'll buy it tonight. I've read that C&C:RA3 has had its DRM removed on the Win version as well. Same for the Mac?

Here's what I don't understand. The pirates are already trading non-DRM versions of all of the games that I mentioned. They're up on some of the binary newsgroups and a few of the private file trading networks. I could pirate all the games I want and get the better version. I feel like I am being punished for wanting to pay money for a product that I feel is worth supporting. This really drives me nuts.

The limited activation thing is another "thing." Due to the nature of my work, sometimes I'm lucky if I have a VSAT or a BGAN. If I decide to reinstall one of these games (only enough space for 1 game) for a lazy Sunday afternoon of gaming, what happens if I'm on station at a hospital in the middle of the Congo? You want me to email or call to activate a game I already paid for? WTF? You guys have any idea how much data/time costs on a satphone? I better not be on hold.....

I never really paid much attention to the /. crowd when they screamed about DRM because it never really affected me but now I get it. I feel like the game company thinks of me as the enemy.

You know, its funny. I've spent a lot of time in conflict areas all over the world, originally and briefly as a soldier but much more often as a civilian aid worker. The universal truth is that local civilians will always suffer more than the combatants themselves.

Bleh, this turned into a rant again.

4. alkar macrumors regular

I think the Jade Empire DRM is limited to some activations, but for RA3 it's the same as the PC version: it still has the DRM but you can "Desauthorize" the game to activate it on another computer and with unlimited times. It really really intrusive, Cider is running into a sandbox, and doesn't touch anything in OSX contrarely to Windows.

5. Signal-11 thread starter macrumors 65816

Signal-11

Do you mean to say that it isn't really intrusive?

So...
    PoP = no DRM
    RA3 = DRM but not the same DRM as Spore?

6. alkar macrumors regular

Right I meant "isn't really", and right about everything else :)

7. Signal-11 thread starter macrumors 65816

Signal-11

Cool. Guess I was kind flipping out for no reason.

I wonder where this sense of entitlement comes from? Breathing American air?

8. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

It's a special additive they put in the water.

But yeah, DRM on the Mac really isn't bad compared to what it's like on the PC side. You should be good to go.

9. palebluedot macrumors 6502a

palebluedot

This is why I wish Steam was on OS X. It's DRM done right, if such a thing can be said. I think I'm going to start up a site to try to get a petition going. But that American entitlement water has made me lazy :p