TransIntl miniG owners...can you give us feedbacks?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by vincmo, Mar 10, 2008.

1. vincmo macrumors newbie

Hi,

Could miniG owners give us feedbacks on the product?

here is the product: http://www.transintl.com/store/minig.cfm

Build quality? Pictures? Performances? SATA vs IDE firewire?

TransIntl advertise the product as (up to 2 TB)...Is it just that the ad is old or it can't support 1TB HDD? Could you also tell us about performances...running files into the tower (video editing)....is it fast enough? Could you also tell us which eSATA card you guys use the run the drives? Are you able to run Time Machine through these towers?

Thanks in advance for the inputs!

2. brand macrumors 601

brand

I don't see why these enclosures don't have Firewire 400, Firewire 800, and ESATA.

3. vincmo thread starter macrumors newbie

Agreed. Plus the firewire models use internal IDE...so I guess that in 2008 the eSATA models are a more viable solution.

4. supercooled macrumors 6502a

How do you connect all four eSATA to the Mac Pro? Isn't there only one extra port available?

5. vincmo thread starter macrumors newbie

You have to buy an eSATA card....with 4 ports.

6. supercooled macrumors 6502a

Isn't there a way to consildate them into one port called Multilane or something to that effect?

7. vincmo thread starter macrumors newbie

Would be great...but even then, you would have to use an external eSATA thus the external ports card.

8. adamdlloyd macrumors newbie

I have a Mini-G 2 sata case on order, I will be sure to update my post with a review upon receipt. I anticipate using 2 Seagate drives in the unit, but have 2 Samsung drives at my disposal also.

Update:
    So my 2 bay sata enclosure arrived, it has the newer internals - no fan only 1 sata and 1 usb port - allowing greater flexibility for data transfer hookups and a dial switch to simply switch the raid setup on the drives on the fly. The same tech is used on these cases - http://www.datoptic.com/cgi-bin/web.cgi?product=ezRAID3&detail=yes

Sadly it seems there is a conflict in my machine (Dual PPC 2.7ghz 10.4.11). I have an internal 2 port sata pci card - SeriTek/1S2 5.3.1 - that runs an internal 2 bay HDD rig - SeriTek/1SE2 5.3.1 that provides 2 external ports, it is these two that i wished to add the minig to, as the current minig's you see on all the sites mac-pro.com, transintl.com are the 2 ports for 2 drive type. Howerver flashing bt of my cards with the updated firmware brought no luck switching their slots to reset the pci bus/memroy proved no better either.

Sadly it seems that I will be deembed to using firewire for this machine. Atleast I get to use the sata option when using my MBP via a LaCie dual port ESATA ExpressCard.

Anyone got any ideas if it is possible to force Tiger to see more than 4 Sata channels?
    As I have 4 int drives (2 on the mobo sata channels and 2 on the internal pci SATA card) is it even possible to run the other 2 channels on a pci card with external esata connections?

The pci card manufacturer states - http://www.firmtek.com/support/ - "FirmTek cannot guarantee compatibility with third party enclosures. Third party hard drive enclosures that utilize a hybrid eSATA/USB 2.0 interface or a single eSATA port with dual hard drives may not be compatible with FirmTek drivers."

I have tried running the minig with both drives under JBOD and under BIG to see if the conflict is resolved by having the drives appear as 1 or 2. But no luck.

Update 2.0
    Ha! Seems the cable was a little loose going into my G5, switched the cable around, Boom! up she pops speedy and recognised immeadiatly. Hats off to TransIntl. Great box, Suoer Smooth Styling, Combined ports and added flexibility, I just wish I had bought the 4 drive caddy had I known they had switched the connection style as I already had the 2port exernal Sata card installed prior to caddy purchase and so was limited with the information I had of the 4 drive caddy needing 4 ports.

9. vincmo thread starter macrumors newbie

Nice! Keep us updated!