Transit App

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by bluespark, May 1, 2018.

1. bluespark macrumors 68000

Any updates/rumors on the new Apple Watch app that goes with the Transit iPhone app? The prior AW app was discontinued months ago. At the time, the Transit developers insisted they were working on a new/better app for the AW, but we haven't seen it yet.

Also, if any app developers are looking for a project, there is a huge need for a simple, clean app that tracks upcoming train/bus times on the user's favorite lines. The prior Transit app had the requisite simplicity (and was hugely useful), but was very slow to update and often failed to update altogether. If there were an app that provided this information quickly and accurately, it would be a godsend to many of us. A complication that shows the next arriving train/bus on a single user-selected line (or, even better, one in the morning and one in the evening) would be a nice addition as well.

2. waw74 macrumors 68030

3. bluespark thread starter macrumors 68000

Citymapper doesn’t do it, though. It’s designed to provide transit directions, and I find the interface too busy to work well on the watch. What I’m looking for is what Transit did: a simple interface that shows real-time arrival times for favorite transit lines, and basically nothing else. After all, I live in a city. I know how to get where I want to go; I just need to know when the next trains/busses are coming.

Note to Mods: I tried to post this thread in the Apple Watch Apps board. Please feel free to move it there.

4. ddelmonte macrumors newbie

ddelmonte

--- Post Merged, May 4, 2018 ---
    I wrote TransitDC for the Washington DC area:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/transitdc/id976849007?mt=8

5. waw74 macrumors 68030

but it does do it though
    at least in NYC

on the main screen scroll down, below the direction part
    hit the type of transit you're looking for (subway, bus, whatever)
    it pops up the closest stop with times (and and a small map of it)
    you can swipe to access up to 5 stations.

no need to get directions

6. bluespark thread starter macrumors 68000

That's a lot of swiping and extra stuff. I realize that would have utility to some people, so I'm not anti-Citymapper. I'm simply suggesting that there is a real unfilled need for an app that simply and clearly shows *favorite* (not nearest) transit stops with arrival times, the way Transit used to do, no scrolling or tapping required. To me, that quick access to information is what the Watch is all about.