Transition: 128GB SSD + HDD --> 256GB SSD

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bozz2006, Apr 11, 2012.

1. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

Hi, I'm looking for a little help here. For the last year I've been running an SSD (in the optical bay) + HDD setup in my early 2011 15" MBP. I used THIS online guide to redirect folders (documents, downloads, movies, music, pictures, public, sites) from the SSD to my hard drive.

Now, I'm once again in the market for an SSD. Probably going to get a 256GB Crucial m4. I plan on taking out the HDD, putting the ODD back in, and going to a traditional SSD only setup.

What I'm wondering is what kind of configuring I'll need to do here. Do I need to "undo" those symlinks to the HDD? If so, can you tell me how to do that?

Can I just use SuperDuper to clone my old SSD contents onto the new one? Will that work with one of the SSDs in an external enclosure?

Thanks for your consideration!

2. bozz2006 thread starter macrumors 68030

bozz2006

3. g3funk macrumors member

g3funk

Yes you should be able to clone the current SSD onto the new one. Generally cloning from SSD to SSD is a good thing, rather than HDD to SSD. If you really want to be careful, get a good time machine backup and just install a brand new version of Lion and rebuild from the TM backup.

I am in this transition right now on a 2010 17 MBP. I am hoping the Crucial M4 will stand up to the beating. The reason for my move is due to my little use of the second HDD.

4. bozz2006 thread starter macrumors 68030

bozz2006

Thanks for the reply. Do you have the second HDD setup with symlinks to direct files to folders on the HDD, like I do?

5. bozz2006 thread starter macrumors 68030

bozz2006