Transition from Apple wired keyboard to wireless keyboard (aluminum)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Paul B, Jan 19, 2010.

1. Paul B macrumors 6502

I currently have the full-sized wired keyboard. I like everything about it except that it's wired.

I'm thinking about getting the wireless keyboard. I can deal with replacing the batteries and the missing NumPad and Delete/Home/End/PgUp/PgDn keys, but the one thing I really don't like about it is the fn key in the lower left corner (I'm so used to having the Control key there).

[​IMG]

I'm willing to give it a chance but I'm not sure if I can get used it at all. Who here has made the transition? How long did it take?

2. masteroflondon macrumors regular

I'm making the transition right now. Thought I'd hate the lack of numpad etc but it's really not a big problem for me. The fn button never bothered me. Been using for 10 days without issue so I expect to continue with it.

My wife recently went through the same process, with the same thought she'd miss the numpad. But in the end she never looked back and just kept it. The large keyboard is right there for plugging in, but neither of us have been tempted.

I think we both like the fact its the same as our MacBook, so you've got more of a standard going on.

3. MacVibe macrumors regular

I guess this is mainly a personal thing, but the fn key doesn't bug me that much.
    Pros:
    - wireless
    Cons:
    - I miss the number pad
    - I really miss the page up and page down keys
    - The scrunched up arrow T is terrible design. If steve uses one of these I bet they will return the arrow keys to the normal size for the next iteration.

4. Paul B thread starter macrumors 6502

Hmm, I guess I'll keep my wired keyboard for now.

I really wish Apple would make a full-size wireless keyboard.

5. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

It's definitely a personal decision. I never move the keyboard off my desk anyway and I am replacing enough batteries in the Magic Mouse (battery hog!) already so I didn't want that additional hassle. When I ordered my i7 iMac in November I special ordered the wired full-size keyboard to replace the default little wireless model.

But really, it is what's right for you that counts.

6. txhockey9404 macrumors 6502a

I have both of the Apple keyboards as well as a Logitech DiNovo Mac Edition. Honestly, the Logitech is easily my favorite. Sure it isn't quite as pretty as the Apple ones (although it is quite good looking in my opinion), but it does have all the things you are missing in the Apple wireless keyboard, and the batteries last WAY longer. I have had to replace my Apple wireless keyboard batteries twice in 3 months, while the Logitech has been going strong for 7 months without a battery change. Also, I think the keys have a better feel on the Logitech.
    However, there are a couple of downsides. It requires a USB dongle that is pretty large, and you have to install Logitech Control Center in order to make all the function keys work as they say, but as soon as you install and set up once, you never have to touch it again. This is where the Apple keyboard (and Magic mouse) really shine. They are obviously built right into OS X, and require little to no configuration. It is, in a wireless sense, plug and play.

7. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

I think I've got about every keyboard Apple has made in the past 5 years. And at work I use a 20 year old Northgate OmniKey/102 (look it up!) which is a fantastic keyboard that won't work on a Mac because it won't generate the Command key code (same as Windows key, but keyboard predates Windows keyboards).

All that said, I much prefer the new wireless keyboard over any of the other Apple keyboards. The main reason is that it has an identical layout to the MacBooks so it's not "yet another layout" for me. The latest version looks like it will go at least 6 months on the batteries.

My second choice would be the full size wired aluminum keyboard for the extra keys, although I've never used the numeric keypad on any keyboard. My wife far prefers this keyboard, and in fact we swapped between two system because she couldn't stand the wired short keyboard that came with her iMac last summer. My third choice is the old plastic wireless but fullsize keyboard. I like wireless and the extra keys but the plastic keyboards had terrible actions with sticking keys and sloppy feel. Those new aluminum keyboards have an amazingly good feel for what looks like an IBM PC Jr chicklet keyboard.

8. Habitus macrumors 6502a

Habitus

I made the transition and it's not a big deal. You'll be fine; don't worry.

Good luck!

Habitus :apple:

9. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

It's essentially the same as a MacBook keyboard, fn key and all. Since I use both a wired keyboard on my iMac (I like having the num pad) and a MacBook, there's not too much of an issue for me.

The ctrl key is still in more or less the same place, it's just smaller. It might be worth a try.

10. bocomo macrumors 6502

my 2 cents:

i like having my keyboard directly in front of me and the wireless one allows this while having my mouse hand closer in (more comfortable)

(hope that explanation makes sense)

i don't miss the number pad and the fn key doesn't really bother me

11. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

I recently made the transition cause I sold my iMac with the full sized keyboard. It probably took about 3 days to get used to it. It's still annoying that I don't have a number pad though.