Transition from iOS 4 to iOS 5 and transfer only SMS/MMS

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by AppleiPad, Oct 13, 2011.

1. AppleiPad macrumors member

I previously jailbroke my iPhone 4 and it is now running very slow, probably due to all the jailbreak stuff. Therefore when I get my iPhone 4S tomorrow, I would like to set it up as a new phone and not restore as backup.

The only thing I need in terms of data from my iPhone 4 is my SMS/MMS history. Since the iPhone 4 is jailbroken I SSH'd into it and got all the info I need, but I'm not planning to jailbreak the iPhone 4S so I'm not sure how I could put it back on the new phone.

I also pinpointed the hex file in the iPhone backup that stores all the SMS data, but when I tried to replace that with the same file on an iOS 5 backup, iTunes returned a 'backup corrupt' error. (Even if this did work I'm fairly sure it's only the SMS and not the MMS, since the file I found is only 8MB.)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. sbddude macrumors 6502a

Try this:
    restore your iphone 4 - set up as new
    jailbreak it
    put back the SMS you saves
    make a new backup
    restore THAT backup to the 4s.

3. AppleiPad thread starter macrumors member

If I jailbreak a fresh install of iOS 5 with the new RedSn0w will it leave behind a lot of junk in the new backup?

Basically I would set up my iPhone 4 with iOS 5 stock, jailbreak it with RedSn0w, SSH my SMSs back into the iPhone 4, back that up, and then restore the iPhone 4S from that backup. Would the iPhone 4S have a lot of jailbreak apps/plists on it or would it be mostly clean?

4. sbddude macrumors 6502a

if you don't install any jailbreak apps on the clean iphone, then there won't be any in the backup. Remember all the jailbreak does is give root access (which is allowing you to access the SMS database files in this case).

5. AppleiPad thread starter macrumors member

I jailbroke iOS 5 and replaced the /private/var/mobile/Library/SMS folder with my old one that included all my texts, but there's still nothing in the messages app on my phone. I tried replacing the /var/Library/SMS too, but nothing. Any ideas?

6. dubvilleusa macrumors newbie

Anything on SMS

I've also copied over all my sms folder to ios 5 and nothing as well