Transition to Lion from 10.5.8 ??

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by srf4real, Jul 24, 2011.

1. srf4real macrumors 68030

srf4real

Hi all, am anxiously awaiting a new server mini in the mail this week..

Currently my workstation is a G5 on Mac OS 10.5.8; I'm beginning to prepare for the upgrade to both hardware and softwares, but have several questions. Since this is not a typical move from Snow Leopard to Lion I am a little more concerned especially because I understand that Lion fully drops support of all Rosetta applications. I recognize that I'll have to hunt for newer intel versions of my favorite third party software, or replacements.

What about my files? My plan is to use a 2TB partitioned hdd through firewire 800 to transfer all my music, photos, documents, etc., should I expect any file compatibility issues? Sorry to be naive here, but is a jpeg a jpeg and a mov a mov regardless of which OS/cpu is being used to read the file? What about iTunes library? Maybe I am getting all worked up over nothing.. is my external firewire hdd backup going to appear in Lion on the i7 intel cpu exactly as it appears in Rosetta Leopard on a G5 cpu including all three partitions, allowing me to manually transfer docs or would it be wiser to use a TimeMachine versioning on the backup files to ensure compatibility>? It seems logical that Apple would have accounted for these things knowing that dinosaurs like myself have been waiting for a suitable and capable well tested replacement before leaving the ppc for intel cpu. (read waiting for my old PowerMac to become totally obsolete):p

One of my primary concerns is how well Adobe CS5.5 will play with formerly edited raw files in the universal CS4. Anyone with experience here?

I've got a prospective buyer for the G5 but will have a few days with both machines to transfer into the mini as well. Any ideas, suggestions would be welcomed and helpful. Thanks.:)

2. Cougarcat macrumors 604

Your files will be fine. To see what apps will be affected by rosetta, go to your System Profiler, click applications, and sort by kind. Anything listed as "PPC" will not run.

As with any big data migration, have plenty of backups. If I were you, I'd have a clone of my G5 as well as a Time Machine backup.

3. iGrouch macrumors member

Hi srf4real

You should have no issues. Attaching any drive should appear. I just checked and RAW files I worked on in PS CS3 and they work fine in PS CS5

4. srf4real, Jul 24, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2011

srf4real thread starter macrumors 68030

srf4real

Wow, I just had a look and really not much has to be left behind. Microsoft Office is the only suite which will have to be fully upgraded to 2011. I'll even be able to bring along all my favorite third party apps. Wonderful! Thanks,

That's great news too. It sounds like I don't have any work to do until my new computer arrives then, already have a system clone in bay 2 and two hdd backups of every file. What is the best way to connect the two machines while working this out, crossover? I have a wifi LAN.