Transition to new iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Eldiablojoe, Jun 5, 2010.

1. Eldiablojoe macrumors 6502a

Eldiablojoe

Ok, I could use a little help with the specifics of transitioning from a 3GS to a 4th Gen iPhone.

I know I need to update all my software and firmware, and then sync the old 3GS with iTunes.

After that, I will sync my new 4th Gen iPhone. That much is simple and easy.

Are there any specific things I need to pay close attention to? Special or specific settings on various tabs during the syncing?

Besides the generic "Restore as new," is there something else I should do to my old iPhone besides making sure the new 4G is on line before I do it?

Thanks guys!

2. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Since none of us have it or the new version of iTunes they will inevitibly release for it, this post is useless.

3. troop231 macrumors 603

Nope, as long as Steve doesn't unveil any crazy new iTunes features lol.

4. Eldiablojoe thread starter macrumors 6502a

Eldiablojoe

/Ignore

I'm not surprised to hear from you, you have deemed yourself Solomon when I make inquiries. It is useless, perhaps, to you. To me, it is not or I would not have otherwise posted it. I'm specifically interested if check boxes such as "restore from contacts on this sync only" would be appropriate for a switch to a new phone.

Geckotek, feel free to put me on your /ignore list, you are the third person on a dozen forums in the last 10 years to make mine, congratulations.

5. cobie454 macrumors regular

cobie454

Nope, seems you have the important parts down!!

6. Eldiablojoe thread starter macrumors 6502a

Eldiablojoe

Thank Cobie, I appreciate your constructive input.

7. troop231 macrumors 603

What about mine? :(

8. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

LOL...I like Solomon....very wise man.

Perhaps you were number 2 in 10 years to make the list.

But to be honest, we have no idea what might change. This question would make more sense on the day of release. Maybe I'm a bit unreasonable, but I don't understand why all of these questions come up before release??

9. Eldiablojoe thread starter macrumors 6502a

Eldiablojoe

Sorry Troop, didn't mean to cause an oversight. Thank you for taking the time to reply to my post. Having people in this forum that do so makes it a dynamic, educational, and entertaining place to visit.

Cheers!

10. Benji222 macrumors 65816

Benji222

WHo ever said we all get 4g..?

11. rburly macrumors 6502a

rburly

(4th generation)

Anyway, I think all my photos taken by my phone will be in the sync, but will my downloaded mp4 movies?

12. Opstech macrumors 6502a

Opstech

Because itunes automatically backs-up our iPhone every time we sync it to the mac/pc, it should transfer to the new phone.
    I had to purchase a new iPhone last year because I dropped mine. I synced the new iPhone and everything ported over right away.

13. nateharr macrumors 6502

Yes. When you plug in any iPhone that has not be synced before it will ask you to activate as a new iPhone or restore from previous backup. All you have to do is select ****'s iPhone from the dropdown list and you're good to go.

14. Bootsie macrumors 6502a

Bootsie

What happens if I am not on the latest firmware? I have a 2G iPhone unlocked on T-mobile, but I am planning on switching to get the new one. I would like my data to transfer though, will it work?

15. elephunkman macrumors 65816

Data will transfer, just not the old firmware you have on your 2G

16. Eldiablojoe thread starter macrumors 6502a

Eldiablojoe

Thanks for that info, I did not know about the drop down list. Is that the option to choose under "***'s iPhone" or "Activate as new...?"

17. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

So it's been a few months since I've had an iPhone (using a crappy nexus one right now) so I'm thinking of just setting up the new iPhone as new so everything is fresh. Since I sync my data through MobileMe will I lose anything besides game save data if i choose not to restore from backup? Just want to make sure i don't lose anything important.

18. InvalidBassist macrumors regular

InvalidBassist

Yes, as long as you back up your iPhone using iTunes.

19. nateharr macrumors 6502

Yes. Everytime you backup your iPhone's data it is saved to your computer.

When you plug in the iPhone 4 you will be able to select any of the backups you made in the life of your previous iPhone. (Or select, activate as new iPhone. This allows your iPhone to be completely original and you can name it as you wish.)

It makes sense to choose the most recent backup, but you can select previous backups if you so choose. But know that any music you delete will not be saved in a backup. When you backup your iPhone, you are choosing to save your iPhone in it's current state. (Contacts, notes, emails, texts, settings, etc.)

But say you delete all your music in movies in iTunes, you won't be able to recover them. iTunes on recognizes what information you have and will taylor your iPhone to match the information you have saved.

All you will need to do when you get your iPhone 4 is plug it in, and select (your name)'s iPhone from the drop down list and everything will be Kosher. :)