transitioning a Quickbooks-using office to Mac

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Jensen G, Apr 29, 2010.

1. Jensen G macrumors member

I work at an all-Windows office (besides my computer!) that is considering switching to Mac. I would love to make this happen; the biggest hurdle is that the offices uses quickbooks (multi-user edition for our salespeople to process and track their sales), and I understand that there is no cross-compatibility or even feature parity for the Mac version. Is there anything out there that has similar feature to the Windows version of Quickbooks that we could use if we do a switch to Mac? Would NOT want to emulate the software or run Parallels/etc. Thank you!

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

So if you don't want to run or emulate Windows, why did you ask in the WIndows on Mac forum. Better to ask in the Mac Applications forum http://forums.macrumors.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2

B

3. gopalpatel macrumors newbie

If you're looking for something modern to switch from quickbooks with cross platform and iphone support, check out xero.com Was really straightforward for us to switch over (with a little help from our accountant) But it's the best financial move we did! :)

4. Macloven macrumors regular

Macloven

I'm presently evaluating MYOB Accountedge for a Mac shop to get the multi-user functionality that qbooks sorely lacks in the Mac world. It isn't bad so far, but not nearly as user friendly as qbooks. Reminds me of Peachtree for windows if you're familiar with that one as a comparison.

Mark

5. yertle macrumors member

yertle

In my case, these alternatives to QuickBooks don't mean much, because my accountant uses QuickBooks Pro. These other programs, regardless how how great they may be, are therefore not an option.

My question for this thread is would QB2010 for mac work well for an accountant who needs an accountant's copy of my company- keep in mind of course the accountant does not use QB on the mac, he uses QBPro for Windows.

6. Macloven macrumors regular

Macloven

qb2010 for mac doesn't have accountant's copy function :eek:

Too many of my clients were running qb for mac to fight the trend, so I run it and it's o.k. But not nearly the features of the PC version. A few Pc to Mac conversions ended up corrupted, and Intuit wasn't terribly helpful with those problems. But since getting the Mac, I've gotten at least 10 clients that wanted a CPA with Mac compatibility. I'd say the investment has well paid off :D

7. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

I am running QBPro with 9 users at my company and the software does not mix with Mac OS. We tried networking a iMac running windows through boot camp and gave it up after having so many problems. I have two computers at my desk, one a Mac and the other a pc.

8. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Can you elaborate? Did you have trouble with Boot Camp/Windows or Quickbooks on the iMac?

B

9. quadturbo macrumors newbie

I spent a straight week trying to figure this out. The solution:

Parallel 5
    XP with SP3 ---->nLited. My installation size is 150 mb.
    QB 2009 Prof

I have my parallel running in crystal mode. You can just click on QB from your dock, it runs it like its part of OS X but what it really does is start up xp in the background and then start the QB.

I have the MBP 13 8gb 512 ssd, so that also helps with the speed.

I have been able to read/modify/print off the QB2009 PC file as if nothing happened.

10. jessesaint macrumors newbie

I have been running Quickbooks Pro for a couple of years on a Mac using Parallels. Except for the problems I have had with Parallels since moving to a 2010 MBP, it has worked very well. It is a little bit of a pain since I don't like to leave Parallels running all the time, but it has worked.

However, since having some quirky Parallels problems (Hard Disk 1 error), I have decided to go with Quickbooks for Mac, since they finally have a Payroll option, even though it is different than Enhanced or Assisted. I don't understand why Intuit can't just make a cross-platform program, as I truly believe a TON of people would start using it, because if it wasn't for Quickbooks, I would have completely scrapped the Windows virus years ago.

I have now almost completely moved my office (8-10 computers) to Mac and haven't looked back. Office for Mac is finally coming up to par and Mail/AddressBook, iCal, etc beats Outlook hands down, IMHO, at least with our POP3/IMAP office. MobileMe also rocks for live syncing to the iPhones and administrative assistants.

Quickbooks is the final switch that will get us mostly running Mac (except for the secretary needing to run Parallels for stamps.com software, which is only for Windows). I don't really like the feel of Quickbooks for Mac as much as the Windows software yet, but I can leave it open all the time and it works, which is worth a lot for me. I can deal with the Payroll functions being online and with the small differences in the Merchant Services, and we don't really use it enough to truly need multi-user, so I'm fine. For you, however, I would go with Parallels, maybe in Crystal mode, as was mentioned. If you keep the windows installation clean, it should run really well and fast for you.

I assume I'm not the only one who hates the Windows update system, with a completely new OS to learn every several years, with every other one being a complete flop and waste of time (ME and Vista). With Mac, for the last 10 years, I guess, the new OS upgrade has been MOTS with new features that are always cool, and the Snow Leopard upgrade has been the best of all.