Transitioning from Alienware 9750 to a Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tasarith, Jun 18, 2008.

1. tasarith macrumors newbie

Hey All,

Been lurking on the forums for a few months now while investigating my options before I buy my mac and I wanted to get some advice from the community before I take the plunge.

I'm currently using my 9750 as my 'everything' computer. I'm deployed overseas so it's my desktop and my laptop but I'm close to heading back home and I'll most likely be trading in my AW for a desktop system. I'm looking for a laptop that has most of the functionality of my current machine. I know I'll take a hit in the gfx department but I'm willing to sacrifice that for a lighter more mobile and certainly more stable platform.

I've owned a powerbook G4 12" in the past and it was a fantastic machine and I'm hoping to get the same experience out of the new macbook pro series. Is there any advice or recommendations you all would make? I'm looking for ideas on photography/image editing software i.e. Lightroom vs. Aperture...Do I really need CS3? (Expensive!) I'm looking into picking up a newbie dSLR and a few lenses.

Sorry this is long-winded any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks

2. jayhawk11 macrumors 6502a

jayhawk11

I guess I'll be the first to say it....go for the Matte screen option if you're into photography. More accurate colors I'm told (I'm not a big photography buff, but everyone that is seems to say matte). As far as Lightroom vs. Aperture, I have played around with Aperture and like it. I don't really have any hands on experience though, but lots of people on here are into that.

P.S.-Welcome back to the light :p

3. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

I disagree on the matte/glossy issue. I've had both and I prefer glossy, especially for viewing pics.
    For editing software, I've found Photoshop Elements capable of doing everything I need done - and I also have Photoshop CS2.

4. shmutheprophet macrumors regular

Thats preference though.

The one thing about matte/glossy isnt preference is this:

Matte does show the true colors much better than glossy, thats just fact.

5. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

See, the problem is, it's not just fact, it's conjecture. There isn't a test that can make that determination, it's all in the eye of the beholder.

6. masse macrumors 6502a

masse

The way I see it, matte people are happy with their matte screens and glossy people are happy with their glossy screens.

Sure matte is better in every way as far as reflections and true colors but who cares. We're all happy. Even the people who are wrong and think glossy is better.