Transitioning from Fitbit, Myfitnesspal

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by pittine, Apr 25, 2015.

1. pittine macrumors newbie

I need help transitioning from using a Fitbit to apple's fitness app.

*I have used Sync Solver to move Fitbit data to Health Kit

My system that works well now is to hit 10,000 steps each day with a 500 calorie deficit. I log all of my food into Myfitnesspal. If I walk 20,000 steps one day, Fitbit and Myfitnesspal work together to add X amount to my calorie allotment for the day so that I always have just a straight forward 500 calorie deficit from what I burned throughout the whole day.

I'm feeling disoriented by the red ring in the fitness app. I almost wish that it tracked steps, rather than active calories. I like the exercise and stand rings. I know that I can see my steps separately outside of the rings, but I really wish I could change that red ring. Or maybe I'm just not understanding and the active calories is a better metric to use?

How do I know the right goal for me for active calories?
    Does the active calories goal change on days where I'm way more active?
    Does Myfitnesspal interact with the fitness app at all? Like if I eat 5 trays of cheese fries, will it increase my goals for the day to compensate for eating the extra calories?

2. rhyme macrumors regular

rhyme

If your goal is to lose weight, then active calories is probably better. MyFitnessPal can pick up your active calories from HealthKit and use those to adjust your daily (eating) calorie goal instead of using data from FitBit - it's somewhere in the HealthKit and MyFitnessPal settings.

The Watch does not adjust your move goal, though that's a nice thought. Rather, you will have to check MyFitnessPal to see how your actual movement affects your eating goal (and move more to make up for those cheese fries if you are over).

3. Hicks. macrumors regular

Hicks.

Unfortunately Myfitnesspal can only pick up data from Steps and Workouts via Health, not Active Calories.

4. redrog macrumors 6502

redrog

I can't even get MFP to pick up the steps. Not sure what I'm doing wrong.

5. slears macrumors member

Update your MFP app, it was released this evening. Steps now transfer to MFP however there is no calorie offset for these steps - you may have to add these in manually for now.

Activity when measured using the app on the watch also transfers over to MFP however an "Other" workout will not - therefore you will have to add this in manually too.

Give it a little time as both companies will be working on automating this, you may just have to manually input for now but all of the information is there now with the new update from MFP. Just make sure you go to the settings in the app and choose "Watch" as the step tracker and you should be good to go!

6. john991 macrumors 65816

Where do you select the watch in settings for workouts in MFP as I can't seem to find it anywhere.

7. dhy8386 macrumors 6502a

Had same issue after update. Try opening the app on the watch -- which may crash the first time. Then reopen again on watch. Then kill it on the iPhone and reopen. Then go back into steps and it should be there.

----------

What do you mean by calorie offset? I think i am following but want to be sure as I have been trying to align the AW with MFP compared to how my fitbit used to.

8. pittine thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replies. I'm feeling a bit frustrated that my routine has been disrupted this much, but it is understandable I suppose.

- I wish Myfitnesspal had glances
    - I wish it would change my active calories goal as I eat food through the day so that I have a constant deficit of calories each day.
    - I wish Apple's Activity app displayed data more like Jawbone Up's app. I have been using Jawbone Up's app which lets me have daily step and calorie goals. Unfortunately I can't figure out how to make the data consistent. I keep getting double steps, no steps, or the Jawbone app pulling from random sources.
    - I wish Apple better explained why they chose active calories to be one of their three most prominent measures when every other fitness tracker uses steps.
    - I wish there was a walkthrough for how to line up all of these prominent apps to all hold hands and work together neatly. (Jawbone Up app, Myfitnesspal, Fitbit, Health, Activity, etc)