Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pilotkid

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 22, 2006
Chandler, AZ/Chicago, IL
Hello everyone, I haven't posted in a while. I need help/advice. I purchased a Dell XPS 13 and its running Windows 8.1, soon to be Windows 10 and I don't know how to transfer anything, if that is even possible. For example, how do I get my photos from iPhoto, Aperture, and Lightroom 6. Is there a way to do that? Luckily I keep all my music and movies in the iTunes cloud and I have since downloaded iTunes on my Windows computer and all is well there. I don't really have any important documents that need transferred and the ones I do need have been. So basically I just need my photo's. I'm doing a final Time Machine back up in case I decide to switch back to a Mac in a few months.

Thanks in advance,
Anthony.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Your best bet is to get (or use) an external drive to copy your data from your Mac to your PC.

Getting your images from LightRoom on your Mac to your PC is easy, just copy directory tree from the Mac to the external drive, then to your PC. Use Lightroom to locate the directories once you do that.

As for Aperture/iPhoto. IF you are using a managed library you need to export the masters, if you are using a referenced library just copy the folders/pictures from the Mac to the external drive, then over to your PC. You'll need (or want) to import those into Lightroom.

pilotkid

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 22, 2006
Chandler, AZ/Chicago, IL
Your best bet is to get (or use) an external drive to copy your data from your Mac to your PC.

Getting your images from LightRoom on your Mac to your PC is easy, just copy directory tree from the Mac to the external drive, then to your PC. Use Lightroom to locate the directories once you do that.

As for Aperture/iPhoto. IF you are using a managed library you need to export the masters, if you are using a referenced library just copy the folders/pictures from the Mac to the external drive, then over to your PC. You'll need (or want) to import those into Lightroom.

Awesome, thanks for your help!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.