Transitioning from Windows - some questions

gowanis

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 22, 2007
I am about to go to the dark side and move to a Mac setup. I have a few questions that are peripheral related, and was hoping I could get some input.

I will probably be purchasing a MacBook w/retina and a 27" Thunderbolt display.

1) I use an old-school IBM/Lexmark clicky tactile keyboard that I really want to keep. It is currently connected to my Dell Windows machine via "purple" ps2? connector through an adaptor to USB. If I plug this into the USB port on the macbook, will it work? (I understand I would lose some functionality like volume and iTunes controls).

2) I use a Microsoft Intellimouse Optical with programmable buttons. Would this work on a Mac (i.e. are there typically mac drivers available for devices like this?)

3) I have a bunch of 3TB USB external drives that are formatted NTFS. Will I be able to plug these into the Mac? From what I've read I should be able to READ NTFS format. Can I then format over one of my other NTFS drives in mac format and then copy the files over?

4) Regarding the display... If I want a dual display (not including the macbook 15 inch screen, can I go DVI out (with an adaptor) to one of my existing monitors? Even if that worked, I suppose I'd have to reduce the resolution on the Thunderbolt to match the 1920x1080 resolution of my existing monitor?

thanks for the help.

drsox

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2011
Xhystos
1. I have the same sort of keyboard - an IBM version. Yes, it does work (on my MBA anyway)
2. Can't help you.
3. Yes
4. Don't know.

waw74

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2008

theRAMman

macrumors regular
May 6, 2012
The Moon.
I am about to go to the dark side and move to a Mac setup. I have a few questions that are peripheral related, and was hoping I could get some input.

I will probably be purchasing a MacBook w/retina and a 27" Thunderbolt display.

1) I use an old-school IBM/Lexmark clicky tactile keyboard that I really want to keep. It is currently connected to my Dell Windows machine via "purple" ps2? connector through an adaptor to USB. If I plug this into the USB port on the macbook, will it work? (I understand I would lose some functionality like volume and iTunes controls).

2) I use a Microsoft Intellimouse Optical with programmable buttons. Would this work on a Mac (i.e. are there typically mac drivers available for devices like this?)

3) I have a bunch of 3TB USB external drives that are formatted NTFS. Will I be able to plug these into the Mac? From what I've read I should be able to READ NTFS format. Can I then format over one of my other NTFS drives in mac format and then copy the files over?

4) Regarding the display... If I want a dual display (not including the macbook 15 inch screen, can I go DVI out (with an adaptor) to one of my existing monitors? Even if that worked, I suppose I'd have to reduce the resolution on the Thunderbolt to match the 1920x1080 resolution of my existing monitor?

thanks for the help.
i can help u with number 2. I used a multi button microsoft mouse a while back and found that the computer asigned the buttons roles but i couldnt find a way to change them. But this was with leopard, and a lot has changed so i bet you can still use the full funtionabaility