Transitioning from Windows - some questions

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by gowanis, Aug 29, 2012.

1. gowanis macrumors 6502

I am about to go to the dark side and move to a Mac setup. I have a few questions that are peripheral related, and was hoping I could get some input.

I will probably be purchasing a MacBook w/retina and a 27" Thunderbolt display.

1) I use an old-school IBM/Lexmark clicky tactile keyboard that I really want to keep. It is currently connected to my Dell Windows machine via "purple" ps2? connector through an adaptor to USB. If I plug this into the USB port on the macbook, will it work? (I understand I would lose some functionality like volume and iTunes controls).

2) I use a Microsoft Intellimouse Optical with programmable buttons. Would this work on a Mac (i.e. are there typically mac drivers available for devices like this?)

3) I have a bunch of 3TB USB external drives that are formatted NTFS. Will I be able to plug these into the Mac? From what I've read I should be able to READ NTFS format. Can I then format over one of my other NTFS drives in mac format and then copy the files over?

4) Regarding the display... If I want a dual display (not including the macbook 15 inch screen, can I go DVI out (with an adaptor) to one of my existing monitors? Even if that worked, I suppose I'd have to reduce the resolution on the Thunderbolt to match the 1920x1080 resolution of my existing monitor?

thanks for the help.

2. drsox macrumors 65816

drsox

1. I have the same sort of keyboard - an IBM version. Yes, it does work (on my MBA anyway)
    2. Can't help you.
    3. Yes
    4. Don't know.

3. waw74 macrumors 68030

4. theRAMman macrumors regular

i can help u with number 2. I used a multi button microsoft mouse a while back and found that the computer asigned the buttons roles but i couldnt find a way to change them. But this was with leopard, and a lot has changed so i bet you can still use the full funtionabaility