Transitioning to 3G..

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by chrismac00, Jul 21, 2008.

1. chrismac00 macrumors 6502a

I have a couple of questions. I have a pending offer on my 1st gen iPhone and the buyer wants it ASAP. I'm going Friday to the Apple Store or AT&T to attempt to get my 3G. So far, my local stores say they should be in stock that day. I wanted to know if I could sell my 1st gen and give it away before I bought the new one.

If so, then I will. But my fears are that I won't be able to get the white 3G iPhone for the $299 price but for the $499 price. Will this happen?

And if they don't have the 3G in stock and I place an order for it (Direct Fulfillment i think..) do I pay at the time I make the order or when I get it?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks :D

2. RNSheets macrumors member

RNSheets

When you order the iPhone, you pay for the iPhone right at the counter.

The $18 fee will be on your next ATT&T monthly bill.

3. bstpierre macrumors 6502

I did not have to produce my 1st gen iPhone when I ordered my 3G. It was on the account though. As long as you don't remove it from the account I would think you should still get credit for it unless maybe the iPhone showing up on another account?

When you place a Direct Fullfillment order they are not suppose to charge your credit card until it ships. Some people have found that they were charged earlier. There were also reports that placing the hold on the credit card is the same as taking the money out of your account if you are using a debit card.

It worked fine for me but your mileage may vary. By the way, you are going to want your phone in a hurry too (just like your buyer) but you are likely not going to get it that fast. I recommend you make your buyer wait at least until you get it ordered. It took me 6 days to get it after I ordered it the first day. I suspect it is going slower now. There are a couple of threads on the topic of ordering through DF that you might want to peruse.