Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

timothevs

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 17, 2007
FL
I just upgraded from my Core i7 2012 iMac to a Core i7 4.0 Retina iMac a few weeks back. I clean installed Yosemite 10.10.5 on my 128GB SSD, while keeping my Home folder ont he 7200 RPM HDD. I also upped the RAM to 24GB. The Vid card is R290x.

Problem is that the animations/transitions in UI elements on my machine feel a bit sluggish. Mostly switching windows, or while switching desktops, I notice a low frame rate, which surprises me because the machine is no slouch.

Any ideas what could be causing this, or should I take it in to be checked out?

timothevs

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 17, 2007
FL
You have increased the pixel count on your display by an order of magnitude.

El Capitan will fix this.

No offense, and not to come across as a smartass - do you know whether El C does in fact fix this? I ask because having used OS X since the 10.3 days, we do tend to look at the next iteration as the be-all, end-all for performance fixes and upgrades.

Admittedly I've read that transitions and UI is a lot more "snappy" on El C, but most of those reports are from users using MacBook Airs, etc.

matreya

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2009
I have a Retina 5k iMac, as listed in my sig. Running El Cap PB5 and it is faster than 10.10.4, which is what I was running before upgrading to the PB.

Reactions: Jetcat3

xmichaelp

macrumors 68000
Jul 10, 2012
El Capitan is definitely faster. If you can't wait I would install the current beta. I'd be interested in your results if you do.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
No offense, and not to come across as a smartass - do you know whether El C does in fact fix this? I ask because having used OS X since the 10.3 days, we do tend to look at the next iteration as the be-all, end-all for performance fixes and upgrades.

Admittedly I've read that transitions and UI is a lot more "snappy" on El C, but most of those reports are from users using MacBook Airs, etc.

I have a retina Macbook which has the same problem and have installed the beta. Transitions are indeed super-smooth. It's specifically one of the under-the-hood improvements that El Capitan is bringing. These animations will no longer have to be handled by the CPU, but will instead be offloaded to the GPU which is more suited to this kind of thing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.