Translate iTMS Popularity Rating to Star Rating?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by G5Unit, Jan 30, 2011.

1. G5Unit macrumors 68020

G5Unit

I've wanted to know if there is a way in which I can take the popularity of a song in the iTunes Music Store (the bars that represent how popular a song is) and somehow assign star ratings based off of how popular a song is.

I've tried looking for a script but I can't seem to find one. Is it even possible to lift such information from the iTMS?

Thank you!

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It's extremely doubtful you could accomplish that. Even so, why would you want to? The star ratings in iTunes exist so you can rate which music is popular to you, not to the rest of the world. What others like may not coincide with what you like. Do you really want your iTunes library ratings dictated by people you don't know, who have different musical tastes than you?

3. G5Unit thread starter macrumors 68020

G5Unit

I was thinking that exact thing as well, and it totally makes sense, but I was just interested if it could be done.

4. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

I've actually found the ratings in the iTMS quite helpful to know which song is the most popular on an album. Helps me navigate the iTMS much quicker if I can't remember the name of the song, or if it's a new album, to see what others consider the hit to be. No different than listening to the radio to discover new music. You don't listen to the whole album at once, just what somebody else considers a hit. The OPs got a good idea, and I'd like to know if this is possible as well.

Also, once the ratings have populated, you can always tweak them to your personal preference. The OPs idea would just be an easy way of getting started. I have thousands and thousands of songs and manually adding ratings to my favorites would take ages. But to be able to modify what's already there doesn't seem like it'd be too much trouble. Note sig.:p