Translating my Flash web site to an iPhone friendly site...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by freeny, Jul 19, 2008.

1. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

Since Apple hasnt warmed up to the idea of Flash on the iPhone, I have decided to make two versions of my website. I am now in the process of translating my Flash based website to an iPhone friendly version. I am building the iPhone version in iweb.

Just looking for comments and suggestions on the iPhone version...
    www.moistproduction.com

If you go to the link on your iphone you will see the iphone version.
    if you go via your desktop you will see the flash version.

I would have posted this in the web development section but Im searching for comments from people actually using an iPhone... :)

Its a work in progress and Im updating it as I work on it so things are changing from time to time.
    Not a lot of room so I am sacrificing "flair" for function ;)

2. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

I like it. Very well formatted, easy to navigate and a nice, fun "iPhone-y" interface.

On another note, I really like you artwork. I just might have to help myself to the ballon flowers background. :)

3. freeny thread starter macrumors 68020

freeny

:)
    That's my preferred wallpaper too.
    I'll be posting more as I progress. Trying to get the overall feel worked out before I tackle all the details...

4. Flhusky macrumors 6502a

Flhusky

Not directed at the OP but kind of directed at the OP.
    Why do web site 'developers' insist on developing sites that are 100% flash based? Its WORSE then the 'developers' that ONLY code fore IEx.
    It can be slow, some cases insecure other cases version dependent and over all NOT w3 compliant.
    *Yes I know its slick and purtty and makes biscuits and walks the dog but still.

Nice art work though, like the iphone site ;)

Sorry for the rant this is just a pet peeve of mine. :(

5. Zoowatch macrumors 6502

I thought that Adobe is coming up with a Flash plug-in for iPhone / iPod touch to be available through the Apps Store?

6. jakeacc macrumors regular

I know Adobe is working on one, but no official announcement.

I have a similar question, if I take a Quicktime video, export it as "Save as iPhone video", upload it to my website. Will only people with iPhones be able to view that video from that page? Or anyone with Quicktimes/iTunes?

7. sr5878 macrumors 6502a

+1 for the flash based site grudge.

but what can i say? i'm in the business of non-flash websites :)

freeny -- want a new site? ;)

8. freeny thread starter macrumors 68020

freeny

anyone will be able to view it. The "iPhone" setting is only if you are going to upload the video to your phone, not view it through a browser on your phone.

9. freeny thread starter macrumors 68020

freeny

I understand the Flash + iPhone is a hot issue but please try to keep the thread on subject :)

10. cohenspire macrumors member

The buttons seem flat too me. I'd add some sort of gradient overlay to the buttons to give them some sort of texture. Since the site is very simple for iphone use I think adding texture to simple things such as your buttons would make them pop.

In all honesty i don't see anything at a quick glance that would require flash. I think you would be better off swapping your old site out with some css/xhtml. Everything you have there could be done in simple code. It would load faster and allow for iphone access without the need for two sites.

Just some ramblings from a designer take it or leave it!

11. freeny thread starter macrumors 68020

freeny

Thanks for the constructive comments :)

The iPhone site is a work in progress, ill play with the buttons as you mentioned.

My Flash site was originally in iweb (which I believe is css at its heart). I recreated it in Flash because A: I know Flash, and B: iweb doesnt have a method of loading a navigation only once (frames?) so every time you went to a new page all the navigation had to be reloaded over and over again, which ironically made the iweb site slower then the Flash site and larger to data transfer by more then 200%.

It is true that my Flash site doesnt need to be Flash but until I either learn another program or iweb makes sites more streamlined and efficient for loading as well as incorporate things like rollover buttons it will remain Flash based...

12. freeny thread starter macrumors 68020

freeny

Ok, here I go off the subject.... ;)

Personally I dont think its Flash thats the issue. Its what people do with it and those things piss me off too. The endless Flash animated ad banners, excessive animated "flair" on peoples websites. If people would use Flash responsibly I dont think there would be so many gripes.

Flash is a fantastic tool, especially for those without a lot of programming knowledge.

Its not going to go away, it just needs some policing.

13. freeny thread starter macrumors 68020

freeny

14. freeny thread starter macrumors 68020

freeny