Translation widget dead? Is it because of 10.4.2?

gammamonk

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 4, 2004
Madison, WI
Is anyone else having trouble with the translation widget in 10.4.2? I use that widget all the time, but since I updated from 10.4.1 it hasn't worked.

I can set "Translate from" to anything I need, but "To" is just "undefined."

I tried doing the 'APPLE R' reload, etc.. Still dead.

Any ideas?

redeye be

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2005
BXL
Works fine here with 10.4.2.
I don't know if you can download it somewhere, i guess that would solve it.

Cheers

dcv

macrumors G3
May 24, 2005
I just tried mine out (also using 10.4.2) and it seems fine.

I had trouble with my weather widget a while back but found that removing it from the dashboard then adding it back fixed it. Have you tried this?

gammamonk

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 4, 2004
Madison, WI
dietcokevanilla said:
I just tried mine out (also using 10.4.2) and it seems fine.

I had trouble with my weather widget a while back but found that removing it from the dashboard then adding it back fixed it. Have you tried this?
Yeah, I tried that. And I tried the Widget manager thing, uncheck --> check, reload, restart. etc etc. Can I unupdate my OS? 10.4.1 didn't give me any trouble. Actually, I'm having another strange issue, where my input language will randomly change between Japanese and English. Even mid-sentence, and I know I'm not just hitting the key-combo. Sometimes it happens even when I'm mousing between applications. Weird.

You don't think it's a location thing, do you? Maybe Systran stopped accepting connections from Japan? It is just a mini webpage after all.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Let me guess.....its stuck when using Chinese, right?

Use spotlight and find the file called 'widget-com.apple.widget.translation.plist' message and open with the Property List Editor (included with XCode, I believe). Then change the first value to 3 and the second to 4 and everything works.

So:

1. Search via Spotlight for the 'widget-com.apple.widget.translation.plist' file
2. double-click on it
3. change the settings to the ones I gave you above and save.
4. open Dashboard and add the Translation widget again

AuPhalanx

macrumors regular
Apr 23, 2004
Wilkes-Barre, PA
Abstract said:
Let me guess.....its stuck when using Chinese, right?

Use spotlight and find the file called 'widget-com.apple.widget.translation.plist' message and open with the Property List Editor (included with XCode, I believe). Then change the first value to 3 and the second to 4 and everything works.

So:

1. Search via Spotlight for the 'widget-com.apple.widget.translation.plist' file
2. double-click on it
3. change the settings to the ones I gave you above and save.
4. open Dashboard and add the Translation widget again
I had the same problem with the translation widget not too long ago. I just trashed the preference file for it and then reloaded the widget. All was fine. I am sure that using XCode would work, too, but that's WAY too techy for me. Trashing the plist file is easy, though. Just find it, trash it, and then reload. I hope this helps.

Have fun... Tony.

mooshoo

macrumors regular
Apr 14, 2004
Better yet, just trash the preference file. I did just that and things are back to normal again.

pknz

macrumors 68020
Mar 22, 2005
NZ
I have had this problem since before 10.4.1, I know others have aswell.

Thanks for the fix.

rbo

macrumors newbie
Apr 15, 2005
Vancouver, Canada
dietcokevanilla said:
Same here, except removing and adding again doesn't make a difference... although we probably had different issues. Mine hasn't wanted to recognize canadian cities for the past 3 weeks or so, so for the time being I live in Blaine, WA :)

gammamonk

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 4, 2004
Madison, WI
mooshoo said:
Better yet, just trash the preference file. I did just that and things are back to normal again.
Hey! Thanks, that fixed it! This widget is so handy, a person can get really dependent on it.

gabyu

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2005
yes, delete the plist solve the problem

To know whever if the bug is language oriented or just systran problem, i can tell you what configuration i had :

first of all, i am in 10.4.2 too
then i put two widgets opened, one chinese simplified>english, and one other english>chinese simplified

i got same problem, but now, the bug of the widget of systran seems closed since i deleted the widget-com.apple.widget.translation.plist file.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
gammamonk said:
Yeah! I don't know, but I thought it was strange too.
Systran is the service provider -- if you click on the link on the back side of the widget, it will take you to their site -- they do the translations.

So here's my translation widget question. So I trashed the plist and it works again. How are you supposed to indicate to it that you want it to translate? If you put a word in, eventually it translates. But sometimes it takes 1 second and sometimes it takes 20. Is that how it's supposed to work? :confused:

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Nermal said:
Why does it have "Systran" in the background? :confused:
Just to update, mine has now screwed itself up too, and also has the Systran there. Deleting the prefs and "reinstalling" the widget fixed it though :)

pmayor

macrumors newbie
Mar 7, 2008
Having SYSTRAN widget problem too

I am having the same problem ... and unfortunately none of you mention where the preferences file is for this widget. I can't find it to delete it and see if that fixes the problem. Any advice?

NEVER MIND -- I just found the instructions, found the plist, deleted it and relaunched the program. Seems to work fine. THanks.