Transliteration

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by kind3rgarten, Nov 30, 2013.

1. kind3rgarten, Nov 30, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2013

kind3rgarten macrumors newbie

I have just ordered my first Mac and am wondering if there is anyway to use transliteration on OS X and have that turned into Russian characters. On Windows I can use Google Input Tools to transliterate the text. I want to do this as I am faster at typing with an English keyboard and do not want to figure out a Russian keyboard right now (school, time issues). If anyone knows of a program/app that is available (paid or free), I would appreciate it.

Transliteration != Translation

Transliteration:
    Privet drug, kak dela? => Привет друг, как дела?

Translation:
    Privet drug, kak dela? => Hey friend, how's it going?

2. jhiesey macrumors newbie

Тhe system has a built-in option for a "Russain - Phonetic" keyboard. You can add it by going to System Preferences->Keyboard->Input Sources tab and click on the + button.

I don't speak Russian, but it looks like it would give the result you expect for that one sentence at least.

3. kind3rgarten thread starter macrumors newbie

Ehh, I have already tried that and it is a bit confusing as not all the keys match up. Letters like ж(zh), ш(sh), щ(shch), я(ya) have weird placements as they are multiple English letters.