Translucent Case washes out images

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by aardwolf, Jul 9, 2010.

1. aardwolf macrumors 6502

I'm currently using a Belkin Grip Vue case that I bought from Best Buy (Link Here).

A friend pointed out to me in the reviews that photos using flash may be showing up as washed out. Unfortunately, it appears to be true. I took two shots, one with the case and one without. I wonder if this is an issue with all translucent cases, or just this one?

Attached Files:

2. Blueline29 macrumors 68020

Blueline29

It's not an issue with all cases. People have recommended going over the edges of the cutout around the flash with a black Sharpie to help with the problem.

FWIW, I have 2 Rocketfish TPU cases and see the washout problem with one (the dark blue) and don't with the other (dark pink). So I guess YMMV.

3. aardwolf thread starter macrumors 6502

You know, I'd bet whiteout would help more... (and look cooler, since the case is clear.) That is, if it doesn't flake off.

4. aardwolf thread starter macrumors 6502

As I was getting ready to put whiteout on the case, I had a revelation. Tonight I'm going to take some sandpaper and make the clear edge cloudy by sanding it a bit. Stay tuned for results tomorrow...

5. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

You need to make it as opaque and non-reflective as possible. Black sharpie seems to work best.

6. aardwolf thread starter macrumors 6502

With a clear case, wouldn't a black ring look ugly?

7. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

correct
    the color white is caused by reflecting all colors of visible light, so it wouldn't be much better than a clear case

the color black, however, is caused by absorbing all colors of visible light, so it would do more to help reduce or solve this issue

I don't think so, not on a black phone. It'd likely be hardly noticeable

8. computerinfo macrumors newbie

Here is the response I received from Belkin:

Here is the response I received from Belkin:

Thank you for contacting Belkin Customer Care,

This appears to be a defect with the case and we have our P.M team looking into it, however its not a unit we have available yet in our system so there isnt much we can offer, I would suggest return to your place of purchase for a refund.

If you have any further questions or comments,
    please feel free to contact us.

Danielle Hogan
    Customer Care Representative
    Belkin International Inc.
    www.belkin.com

9. aardwolf thread starter macrumors 6502

Update

Here are two pictures, one taken with the case and a few layers of Sharpie, and the other taken without the case on. The brighter of the two pictures is case-on.

Attached Files: