Translucent Menu Bar Now Available on "Unsupported" Macs

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Maniamac, Feb 25, 2008.

1. Maniamac macrumors member

First, for those who don't want to mess with haxies: Transbar 1.0.3 will fake menu bar translucence, a la MenuShade. Found it over at Mac Themes.

http://macthemes2.net/forum/viewtopic.php?id=16784306&p=1

For those who don't mind installing Application Enhancer, a beta of which is now Leopard compatible, I've pulled this from that same thread linked above:

Cabron
    "a) Setting up the menubar to transparent on the last onyx available
    b) Install Unsanity Ape (beta for 10.5)
    c) Install Unsanity Silk (last for 10.5) and turn it on (no font changes are needed)
    d) Log out your session
    e) Do you have now transparent menu bar?"

I can confirm that this works and my iMac G5 now displays the translucent menu bar.

I wonder why Apple said the GFX card wasn't up to snuff?

2. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Sweet, I've been dying to see how well it would work on a 12" PB.

[Update]It looks now as Apple should've done it to begin with on slightly unsupported Core Image cards. Too bad it won't last for me since I refuse to pay for a hack(s).

Attached Files:

3. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

According to some video graphics guru (read about it on this very board) the translucent menu bar isn't just using a transparency effect and blur. It's using those two and throwing a curve ball, it's also rendered as slightly rounded. Too much to handle for non Core Image enabled cards apparently. However the Nvidia GeForce FX Go5200 is the exception. Apple designated it to be Core Image enabled, to sell more 12" PowerBooks to graphics pro's, even while it just missed the grade.

4. danylothegreen macrumors newbie

any apps (besides MenuShade) to HIDE Bar

Hey

thx for the app post,
    im just wondering if there's an app that can HIDE the menubar (like the dock)
    -BESIDES MenuShade, which crashes for many X10.5-

does anyone know of any??

any help would be appreciated.

thx