Translucent Menu Bar - Yay or Nay?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by MaskingTape, Apr 6, 2009.

?

Yay or Nay?

1. Yay!

31 vote(s)
    54.4%
  2. Nay!

26 vote(s)
    45.6%
  1. MaskingTape macrumors regular

How many of you have your menu bar translucent? I seem to go back and forth. On some backgrounds it being translucent looks great, on others its very hard to read. So how do you guys like it?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

never- 'twas one of the first things I searched for how to turn it off when I got Leopard.

3. Watabou macrumors 68040

Watabou

I have mine translucent at all times. I don't find it hard to read at all and it looks nicer.

4. Boneoh macrumors 6502

Boneoh

I turned it off. I use rotating pictures for my desktop. I found the translucent menu to be ugly and hard to read.

5. Jisuo macrumors 6502

Turned it off immediately, prefer it that way.

6. Tosser macrumors 68030

7. messedkid macrumors 6502

messedkid

8. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

I never liked it. I was really happy when 10.6.2 10.5.2 came out.

9. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

i love it! i think it is a great feature, however i think some users retain the right to turn it off. i can see why people wouldn't like it but i have not had a problem reading it at all!

10. sine-nomine macrumors regular

Me too - 2010 was a great year! :p

I tend to use it with some backgrounds, but not others. It really depends. With the right background, it really looks good.

11. Tosser macrumors 68030

[My emphasis]

Feature? In what way? I don't see any purpose to it, other than to make it harder to read. It's eye candy and nothing else. How about they introduced some real features such as reintroducing sms'ing from and to numbers in your address book for thethered phones, working firewire or make it easier to use the OS or hell, even update finder to 2006.

Gimmicks such as the menu bar, and in particular such things as the new touchpad finally convinced me that after 20 years I find myself on the wrong platform: A platform for posers.
    Yeah, I put my money where my mouth is: My new lappie which is on the way have no trackpad at all :D
    No more tennis elbow inducing touchpads, less gimmicks overall, and the ability to focus more on work than workarounds in order to be compatible will be so freeing.

/rant

12. nerdish macrumors regular

I liked it the instant i upgraded to Leopard, and i've had it on ever since.

13. andrew upstairs macrumors 6502

Depends on the background. Right now my background is animated, so I keep it off.

14. Thomas Harte macrumors 6502

Definite Nay; it's useless eye candy that actually decreases usability, and the original intention to force it upon everyone is symptomatic of all the things many people don't like about Apple.

15. mslide macrumors 6502a

I used to hate it, but now I find myself turning it on more and more. Depends on the background though.

16. 11800506 macrumors 65816

I keep it on constantly and actually prefer the more translucent bar of pre 10.5.2. I think instead of just having an enable/disable checkbox, Apple should have put in a slider for translucency.

17. acxz macrumors regular

Depends on the wallpaper I'm using. Some make a nice pattern behind the menubar, others are just plain awful. Shame there's no option for that in the poll.

18. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Turned it off immediately when the option was available. I don't have it translucent on any of my Macs, it made some of my menubar apps hard to read and I thought it was ugly.

19. Melrose macrumors 604

Melrose

Never effected readability for me. I like it - it ties the menubar into the desktop more.

20. Reventon macrumors 6502

I don't have any problems with it (and sort of prefer it like this), so I'm just going to leave the menu bar translucent. Although, to be honest, I didn't know you could change the menu bar.

21. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

I think translucent on Leopard is better since the default shade of gray is pretty bad... but the Menu Bar in Tiger was nicer than both, and I'd prefer that to translucent.

22. instaxgirl macrumors 65816

instaxgirl

You can turn it off?!

Jeez, I'm an idiot. Since I upgraded to Leopard I've kept the default aurora wallpaper because having the top of my screen showing the top of people's heads or whatever bugged the hell out of me. The purpleyness of the default wallpaper I can just about live with, but one of the first things I disliked was how the top of a window was grey, and then suddenly you had this translucent strip showing the colour of whatever silly photo I'd set for my wallpaper.

23. madog macrumors 65816

madog

The MacBook Wheel???

24. jlamb0 macrumors member

I would like the translucent menu bar better if the window-decoration would go translucent as well. It just looks weird to have a translucent menubar with opaque window bars right underneath.

25. dmmcintyre3 macrumors 68020

It depends on what background I am using. I turn it on and off depending on what background I use.