Translucent Menu in Leopard w/o CoreImage

Discussion in 'macOS' started by drewdle, Jun 11, 2010.

1. drewdle macrumors regular

I was wondering, after scouring the internet, if anyone knows a trick to get the menu bar in Leopard to do it's translucency thing on a Mac that doesn't support CoreImage (such as my iMac G4). It doesn't seem like it would be that hard to do without CoreImage, as I can set lots of other programs to use semi-transparent application windows (Adium as a prime example). Lots of info out there on how to make the menu bar opaque, but not the other way around.

Any help appreciated, thanks guys.

2. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

Nope.

The menu bar is not simply transparent, it also blurs the background. Same for the menus on a machine that supports CoreImage. This requires a graphics card with buffer effects, essentially.

You might be able to do some kind of hack to make the menu bar transparent, but you won't be able to simply enable the built-in feature. If you did, your machine would slow down considerably since you'd be software-rendering buffer effects with your CPU.

3. drewdle thread starter macrumors regular

Drat, I kind of figured that if there was a way, it'd been easier to find instructions online. Thanks though.