Transmission 0.71 Released!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by xJulianx, Apr 24, 2007.

1. xJulianx macrumors 6502a

xJulianx

Many private trackers now allow the use of Transmission. This is great news, no more Azureus for me now!

2. Bob Jovi macrumors regular

yeah, I was using xtorrent, but since they started charging for it I've been using transmission and think that it is a great piece of software.

3. marvinsum macrumors member

Yep, transmission ftw. Pisses me off when people take some open source software, wrap it in some proprietary software and start charging for it.

4. Bob Jovi macrumors regular

yeah I wonder how many people have actually stumped up the cash for it? i do really like the integrated search in xtorrent though

5. rtdgoldfish macrumors 6502a

rtdgoldfish

I never understood why some trackers didn't allow Transmission. What does it do that other bittorrent clients don't do??

6. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

It's more what it doesn't do, which is not follow the BitTorrent protocol correctly

7. The General macrumors 601

Hey, does anyone know of a way to transfer all of my running torrents in Azureus over to Transmission?

8. MikeDTyke macrumors 6502a

• Stop all the azureus downloads.
    • Open Transmission, set the download dir the same as azureus, so it can find the partially downloaded files.
    • Right (ctrl click) on a .torrent file and set transmission as the preferred app, apply to all.
    • Double click each .torrent file.

Should work a treat, though i'll paraphrase that i'm not in front of my mac and can't try it right now.

M.

9. prostuff1 macrumors 65816

prostuff1

When Transimission gets selective file downloading I will probably switch over.

Another thing i would like is some way to monitor transimission over my network. With Azureus I am able to (through a plugin and a widget) I am able to see how far along my torrents are from another computer. It is only a little thing and if it is possible to make my own little widget that would do that same thing i would be happy to try.

10. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada
    sigh...I'm so happy

I'm going to take my time trashing Azureus...slow....enjoying the moment of eliminating that bloated, fugly, unMaclike app from my machine...

So good...Transmission is now complete.

:D :cool: :apple:

11. cubbie5150 macrumors 6502a

cubbie5150

I will dump Azureus once Transmission incorporates transport encryption. I really hope that is in the pipeline..

12. pMay macrumors member

What is so bad about Azureus?
    Is it all because it is written in Java?

13. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada
    use it for five minutes, see how it effects you system?

see how ugly and cluttered it is?

see how many features you will never use?

see how Transmission is awesome?

14. Habusho macrumors 6502

Transmission now has selective downloading with the latest nightly releases.

15. radiantm3 macrumors 65816

radiantm3

I bought it. Downloading torrents have never been easier or more seamless. I also have a lot of RSS torrent feeds. I also don't use any private trackers (nor do I download files that will get me into any trouble). Developing software (especially to the level of xtorrent) takes time and money. It's up to the developer whether he feels his application warrants a price tag or not. In the case of xtorrent, I'd say it's justified as it does a lot of what other torrent clients do not do. Whether it's worth your money or not is up to you. :)

16. prostuff1 macrumors 65816

prostuff1

Yup, i realize that. I have switched my laptop over to transmission and i like it. It is so much quicker to launch and run then azureus ever was. Going to be switching my iMac over soon.

Like i said in my other post the only thing that is missing for me is a WebUI and a way to monitor my what is currently happening with transmission.

17. OrangeCuse44 macrumors 65816

OrangeCuse44

good stuff, that xtorrent restriction was getting annoying. it did work really well tho.

18. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

You mean like Mac OS X?