Transmission 1.0 New UI

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by richard.mac, Jan 4, 2008.

1. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

Transmission 1.0 has just been released so fire it up and download the update! :)

There is a new UI which has been modified to better suit Leopard. there is a new encryption option in the preferences which allows you to "Prefer encrypted peers". there is also a new dock icon which has a "quitting" label when you close transmission, presumabley to stop users from thinking it is non responsive while it closes connections. here are some piccies.

[​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I've been telling people to use the nightlies...

3. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

4. richard.mac thread starter macrumors 603

richard.mac

did the nightlies have the new UI? i pretty much downloaded this for the new UI. im a sucker for new shiny things

5. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

The new UI and "Quiting..." badge have been in the nightlies for 3-4 days now.

It looks a lot better in Leopard then in Tiger IMHO.

*shrug*

6. heatmiser macrumors 68020

Even though I'm back to Azureus, I'm most excited about Transmission, simply because it's the BT client most under development in OS X land. If these chaps keep it up, they're going to be far and away the best client available within a year or so. Almost every other client is either out of development or banned or heading in some awful direction. Azureus is like Vista in a bottle; there's no reason to move past a version released a full year ago. The µTorrent project is dead in the water. Tomato Torrent is slightly more productive than coding a torrent client yourself. The "official" client is two years behind the version on Windows, which is just a repackaged version of µTorrent. And so on. The only two real clients on this OS are Transmission and Azureus, and one of them has a much brighter future than the other (as long as they work harder to prevent such fiascos as .95)...

7. n00basaur macrumors regular

8. terriyaki macrumors 6502a

I really want to like Transmission but every major release since I think .7 or so has been giving me nightmares. It'll randomly garble downloads and sometimes cause certain transfers to freeze at about 90% or so and yet still download data. I left it on over a weekend once and came home to find that it had downloaded in excess of 13GB of useless crap. :(

I'll wait it out for a week or so and wait to see if there are still any bugs. For now BitRocket will have to do.

9. prostuff1 macrumors 65816

prostuff1

Have you bothered to try and figure out why it does not work??

I personally turn Upnp OFF of my routers and go about things the manual way. Upnp is not exactly a good thing from what I have read. It might make things easier but it can also cause problems.

Maybe try portforward.com to get everything up and running so it works.

10. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

I love Transmission and this release; however, I'm not at all crazy about the new look. :(

11. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

The addition of a peer connections setting helps a lot, as I recall the previous unmodifiable value was too low for some torrents and one of the reasons I still preferred Azureus. The new UI is nice too. Now lets see if it plays nice with Leopard's firewall.

12. sunfast macrumors 68020

sunfast

Updates are all good, really like transmission :)

13. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Can you limit connections to less than 200? 200 is too many in a student flat with a Netgear router as it makes the rest of the internet t3h slowness.

14. JSchwage macrumors 6502a

JSchwage

Wow. This version looks great. Is it just me, or did they update the icon a bit too?

15. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

They did, and its in the release notes...

16. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

17. jhande macrumors 6502

Best of all, it doesn't hang around for 30 secs after quitting. Looks nice too.

18. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

Not sure what I think of the new UI. I liked the old one, this one is a lot more slick though. Updates are always good, they feed my update addiction:D

19. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

ill d/l when i finish d/ling what i am d/lding right noe, i don t want to interrupt the present d/l muuuahaaha:D

20. ::Lisa:: macrumors 6502a

::Lisa::

Mine did an update earlier today but I don't notice any difference.
    It restarted too. Maybe I need to restart it fully :confused: