Transmission 2.0 Troubles - Please Help!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by nope7308, Jun 27, 2010.

1. nope7308 macrumors 65816

nope7308

After upgrading to Transmission 2.0 (and the subsequent 2.1 update), when I add a torrent file to the queue, it doesn't immediately connect. More specifically, it takes anywhere from 5-30 minutes before the torrent connects to peers and begins the download (plenty of seeds/peers). Furthermore, Transmission sometimes hangs when I attempt to quit - not the usual 10-20 seconds, but it hangs indefinitely and I have to 'Force Quit'.

I never experienced these issues prior to the 2.0 update and my settings/preferences have not changed. So, two questions:

1) What is causing this issue?
    2) How can I fix it?

Thanks for the help!

2. alienapp macrumors member

Hi nope7308,

1) I'm not sure if this is a problem with transmission, could be a problem with the tracker or a lack of peers to download from. But generally for me a 5 - 30 minute wait should be still bearable.

2)This happened to me a couple of times as well. The problem always occur when I try to close transmission when I am still downloading stuff. However, things seems to be fine if I pause the downloads before I quit transmission.

Hope that helps.

3. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Try uTorrent. It's so much better and faster. Not to mention, it's also much lighter than Transmision.

4. nope7308 thread starter macrumors 65816

nope7308

Thanks for the responses.

This is quite odd, indeed. There are plenty of seeds/peers, so the problem is not with the torrent itself. I restarted the computer after downloading the 2.1 update and - knock on wood - the problem seems to have corrected itself. I'll be sure to post back if the problem resurfaces. Thanks again for the help.

P.S. Transmission and uTorrent are practically indistinguishable performance-wise. Personally, I think it boils down to personal preference. I settled on Transmission because uTorrent was too buggy in its beta release. Although I'm sure uTorrent is now more stable, I've grown quite fond of Transmission.

5. jonathan97ng macrumors newbie

Transmission lag

I have the same Force quit thing like you but as for the waiting for peers..Internet connection or...System processor...