Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

p3ncil

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 6, 2009
Everyone running 2.90 on OS X should immediately upgrade to 2.91 or delete their copy of 2.90, as they may have downloaded a malware-infected file.

Using “Activity Monitor” preinstalled in OS X, check whether any process named “kernel_service” is running. If so, double check the process, choose the “Open Files and Ports” and check whether there is a file name like “/Users//Library/kernel_service”. If so, the process is KeRanger’s main process. We suggest terminating it with “Quit -> Force Quit”.

https://www.transmissionbt.com

RootBeerMan

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2016
Thanks for the heads up, OP. My version of Transmission was an older one, so I managed to skip over the infected one. That's a relief.

pedrom

Suspended
Jan 30, 2016
Thanks for your post. Transmission is a fundamental piece of software. How did this happen?

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
Apparently Gatekeeper has already been patched to disallow installation of Transmission 2.90. Current installs still may be dangerous though.

But this is a really bad kink in Transmissions facade.

pedrom

Suspended
Jan 30, 2016
Apparently Gatekeeper has already been patched to disallow installation of Transmission 2.90. Current installs still may be dangerous though.

But this is a really bad kink in Transmissions facade.
Let's just hope that they are honest about it and share how did this happen.

It's situations like this that pisses me off with Apple and the Mac app store situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.