Transmission and Laptops

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Ducky21, Oct 16, 2008.

1. Ducky21 macrumors newbie

Hi everyone, I just bought my first Mac, a shiny new MacBook Pro. I really like it, but coming from uTorrent on a desktop, I have a question.

Every time I close my laptop, Transmission pauses all transfers. Is there a way to turn that off so that it keeps going?

Thanks in advance guys.

2. andresantos macrumors newbie

Simple Question

Hello,

I am from Brazil, and can answer your question.
    Is very simple. Every time you close your laptop, the system sleep. This is default on the apple laptops. I search for this option in the system configuration to change the action when close the laptop, but i dont find.
    I search on google about this, and find a program called Insomnia. This program resolved my question. After installed, you can close the laptop and the system will continue online and all tasks and transfers will be continued.

Sorry about english.

Bye

3. Ducky21 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ah, thank you. Your English is fine, btw.

I just remembered the "disable sleep" option in Transmission, and that's checked on, but it still sleeps. I'll install Insomnia when I get home, but any ideas on the "disable sleep" not working?

4. ehurdler macrumors member

Even though your question was related to the machine going to sleep when you close the lid, I did want to mention that you can use uTorrent for a macintosh now. As of now doesn't seem as good as it used to be on a pc, but does the job. :apple:

5. kolax macrumors G3

That option in Transmission will only prevent your Mac from going to sleep due to inactivity (if you have that enabled in System Preferences --> Energy Saver).

Insomnia X is what I use when I want my MacBook Pro to stay awake when I close the lid. I set up a custom key combo (CMD+SHIFT+F11) to enable and disable it too.

Transmission is the best Mac torrent program out there. Very light weight, never crashed on me and just "works".

6. ying yang macrumors regular

How hot does it get doing that Kilamite? Mine gets so hot with the lid open I'm afraid to even try Insomnia X.

7. kolax macrumors G3

Depends what you are doing.

My temperatures were fine, it did get warm, but not roasting hot. I'd never dream of encoding video with the lid closed.

I only have the lid shut with the MacBook Pro in operation when the CPU usage is below 10%, or I have it stacked vertically with the exhaust in the air for more CPU intensive stuff.

I'm interested to see what the heat is like on the new MacBook Pro.

8. scott:mac macrumors regular

9. aristobrat macrumors G4

If you're closing your laptop so that the screen and backlit keyboard turn off, you might try hitting Shift-Control-Eject.

That key combination will turn off the screen and keyboard until you press a key or move the mouse. The computer still stays on...