Transmission: Any DLs kill my internet, tried everything

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by indigoflowAS, Sep 10, 2007.

1. indigoflowAS macrumors 6502

indigoflowAS

Hello,

So I have a Linksys WRT54G wifi router and whenever I use Transmission, it kills my internet within a minute. The upload rate has been capped in Transmission. I can download fine on my PC, but it is hardwired, as opposed to my MBP with which I may do Transmission transfers.

Is the router simply incapable of doing BT transfers over wifi, I've heard some mixed reviews of the WRT54G. May the router be throttling such transfers? Or is it something more nefarious, like my ISP is crippling such transfers?

Any way to tell which may be the culprit?

2. weckart macrumors 68040

So you are not using Transmission on your PC.

So you may have opened ports on your router to suit your PC torrent client.

So have you checked under Network in the Preferences to see whether your incoming TCP port is green or 'stealth'? That is the obvious culprit.

So starting posts with 'so' is so irritating, isn't it? :)

3. XjeffX macrumors member

Try turning down your upload speeds. I used to not be able to upload more than 15k/s when I had verizon DSL. Now I don't notice any slowdown until 50k/s with my cable.

4. indigoflowAS thread starter macrumors 6502

indigoflowAS

heh, quite.

1. I am not using Transmission on a PC, Azureus...but Azureus on my Mac results in a similar grinding halt of the internet as well

2. Gone into 192.168.1.1 and set the appropriate ports so they are open for my PC client an my Mac client

3. Network tab in Transmission prefs show a very green dot and "port is open", but an error "mapping the port".

I jacked my MBP in w/ a hard line, turned off Airport and Transmission still kills all web traffic but its own. I have squeezed Transmissions upload to 5kb/s and still craps out. When this crap-out occurs, I quit Transmission and wait about 2min and all internet functions return to normal, homepage comes up, RSS aggregator loads images, gmail fetches mail.

and for some reason, I can't seem to get into the Linksys router settings at 192.168.1.1 as of the last couple hours...it's timing out.

Thanks for helping out.

5. weckart macrumors 68040

Hmm, sounds very strange with the traffic throttling.

Transmission seems to want to control the ports itself, so if you do not set the port manually for torrent traffic on your router, Transmission should sort itself out, but that is not your main problem.

Have you got some strange firewall configuration going on that is throttling P2P traffic on your Mac?

6. indigoflowAS thread starter macrumors 6502

indigoflowAS

I forwarded some new ports and unchecked "automatically map port" and all seems to be fine. Thanks for the help.

**EDIT**
    I lied, thinks are still squirly. Takes a little longer for the internet to crap out. I'm confused. I may just reserve my Transmission DLs to when I am away from the computer and overnight, unfortunate compromise. Will be switching ISPs soon, see if that could possibly be the issue.

7. iMacBook macrumors 6502a

iMacBook

8. indigoflowAS thread starter macrumors 6502

indigoflowAS

They're called WOW(WideOpenWest), a mostly midwestern outfit. Don't know much about them really. Hope I don't have to do Comcast when I move to St. Louis, heard bad things.

9. iMacBook macrumors 6502a

iMacBook

Heh. Small world. I have WOW too. :)

Hmm. I don't have any problems with my internet. I don't know how to fix it. Sorry.

10. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

problems

Same thing happens to me with Transmission. I have an Airport Extreme.

I set it to 10DL/5UL during the day and let it run full bore at night.

11. PhatBoyG macrumors regular

PhatBoyG

Get an open-source firmware replacement for the Linksys (if your unit is compatible) and make sure you get one with QoS adjustments. Using this, you can decrease the priority of BT traffic so that it does not affect your network.

It will also do some IP/TCP tricks to fragment packets to reduce latency in games and VoIP applications.

I have a D-Link with QoS (after my Linksys died) and I never have problems gaming while downloading unrestricted BT transfers on the other system. It's pretty handy to have the smarts to figure out the traffic patterns and make adjustments.

12. indigoflowAS thread starter macrumors 6502

indigoflowAS

That's a great tip, I was researching some custom firmwares for the Linksys earlier and there are a couple that should be of use. Good stuff, I'll look more into it.

13. bmcgonag macrumors 65816

bmcgonag

Another thing that will kill internet connectivity is the DL speed. Go to www.dslreports.com/speedtest (works for cable too) and run a couple of speedtests. Take the speeds, convert to KB/s, then set your DL and UL to 80% of those numbers.

Next, check your peer connection settings. If set too high, this will kill your connection after a couple of minutes due to flooding. I set mine around 40 or 50, don't have many issues now. This can also be an issue with some modems.

Open source software for Linksys, the DD-WRT is awesome, but a little scary on install. Make sure whatever you choose to follow all directions exactly, and make a backup if possible.

Best of luck, Brian

14. DinoMachino macrumors member

DinoMachino

I have comcast

and the same problem. azurus/ vuze doesnt kill my network like transmission, and to add to it, not every transmission version does it. the last two didnt, but the current one does.

15. jyc128 macrumors newbie

Same issue

I have the same linksys router and i use Transmission. I was searching on the net and i was told to change to a better router and the issue would be resolve. Could that be true?

Thanks James,

16. ladysman macrumors regular

Depends on which linksys router and version you are talking about.

Why not use Quality of Service to help with this?

Let me know the version and i'll point you in the right direction.

17. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

It's the router I'm fairly sure.

My internet would just cut out with that router, even if Azureus (back then) didn't have a single torrent DL/UL in the list.

Bought Netgear DG834G, cheap and works like a charm.

18. jyc128 macrumors newbie

Router model WRT54G
    Firmware Version: v1.00.6

19. ladysman macrumors regular

No, which version of the router, not the firmware version.

It's on the bottom. It will say WRT54g v# where # is the main thing I want. ;)

Some versions can't be flashed.

20. jyc128 macrumors newbie

Sorry about that the version is 5.

21. ladysman macrumors regular

Sorry, one of the worst ones ever of that model. ;) 8mb of RAM, 2mb flash. awful. And terrible wireless to boot.

I'd dump it and buy a new one. I suggest the Asus RT-N16 flashed with tomato.
    http://www.linksysinfo.org/forums/showthread.php?t=63587

Problem with the ASUS is they are hard to come by. If you find one, grab it. :D

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833320038&Tpk=asus RT-N16

Wireless N
    Gig Ethernet
    2 USB's
    128mb of RAM and 32mb FLash. ;)

Or, if you wan something cheap and simple, WRT54GL. Of course, no Wireless N, no USB, no Gig Ethernet however, it can be flashed. I'd recommend the victek firmware for it.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833124190&Tpk=wrt54gl

Edit, added Victek mod
    http://www.linksysinfo.org/forums/showthread.php?t=62248

22. jyc128 macrumors newbie

I will look into getting the router you suggest :D
    Thank you for your help it is greatly appreciated :)

23. mplsdunk macrumors newbie

i have the same problem so i just let it run when i'm not using the computer and pause it when i'm on it. i think qwest throttles p2p use...

24. DinoMachino macrumors member

DinoMachino

I'm telling you!

it's not the router. I have a Time capsule and the same issue.

linksys routers more than 3 years old suck for sure, new than that and I have no experience, but I digress.

maybe try finding a slightly older version of transmission?

I keep meaning to do this myself but never get around to it.

25. ladysman macrumors regular

This is incorrect. ;) The olders ones are better because they have flashable firmware (Linux). The new ones (at least in the WRT54g name) are horrid except for the WRT54gL....where "L" means well you know...linux.

But I do agree that it sounds more like a transmission software problem.