Transmission Download not working

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by willyeyeam, Jan 10, 2009.

1. willyeyeam macrumors newbie

Any other alternative download links?

any help? I've downloaded it. Dragged the icon into the application folder. No dice.

http://www.transmissionbt.com/download.php

That link is not working.. .atleast not for me

2. Theophany macrumors 6502a

Theophany

Transmission hasn't been working for me for the past few days either. I got pissed off with it seeing as the last release they did was to stop it locking up as soon as it was opened.

UTorrent is a far better client, even though it's currently beta. Transmission was good, now it's dead to me.

3. rainydays macrumors 6502a

What is not working for you? You can't launch the app by doubleclicking it? Does it give you any errors?

By the way, for those having issues with the latest release, try downloading an older version. I installed 1.4 again and it has been working great ever since.

http://download.m0k.org/transmission/files/

4. willyeyeam thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah i cannot launch the app. i don't know whats up.

5. lethalhippo macrumors newbie

Get uTorrent. They have a version for mac now. It's more organized but still pretty lightweight. And you can edit the preferences to make it faster.

P.S. Make your upload speed 50 kb/s as the limit, and make the downloading unlimited. Watch yourself fly.

6. jive turkey macrumors 6502

+1 with uTorrent. I have been having issues with Transmission delaying the start of downloads for several minutes, so I gave uTorrent a try and so far it has been very good. I'm not sure how to set some of the preferences for best performance (like outgoing encryption), but on the whole it is very good for a pre 1.0 release.

7. petermcphee macrumors 6502a

petermcphee

Agreed! uTorrent, FTW! It's the encryption that made me switch from Transmission. Also, I am more familiar with uTorrent's interface form the Windows side.

8. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I can't stand µTorrent on OS X compared to the Windows version. Transmission supports encryption as well.

9. Espionage32 macrumors regular

so is transmission working again.

10. bmwpowere36m3 macrumors 6502

I don't know for me transmission hasn't really been working for my since I've come back to school. It rarely connects to other peers and it just maxes out my upload bandwidth, which I limited it to 70% of my actual. Once in a while the DL will shoot up and stay there and then it drops to a measly 4-10KB/s.

At home the "Peer Listening Port" would be Open or whatever, now no matter what I set it to its always closed. Oh and I'm on the school's network. Any advice?

11. Spongey817 macrumors regular

Weird, I've been having download speed issues over the past few days with Transmission. I've been a long time user, and have had very, very fast speeds...but over the past three days, I've gotten nothing faster than 10 KB/s.

I like Transmission's ease of use and minimal interface, but I might give uTorrent a try

12. XianPalin macrumors 6502

XianPalin

I ran into the same thing - crappy speeds with transmission lately. I switched to uTorrent and it's been running fine.

13. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Transmssion has been working immaculately on my connection. I'm using the 1.50 beta right now too.

How many connections are you running? Are your ports forwarded? What about the number of peers?

14. bmwpowere36m3 macrumors 6502

For me I running: Transmission 1.42, Global Connections: 200, Max Connections for New Transfers: 60, Ports Forwarded: Yes, but Port Closed no matter what I do (maybe due to campus LAN)

15. rainydays macrumors 6502a

Did you check Preferences->Bandwidth? Perhaps you have enabled the limitation by mistake.

16. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

The latest developmental builds of Transmission (versions 1.42+) seem to be working fine.

If they don't work for you, try the old version 1.22, which is fast and stable.

Both these downloads can be found on the Transmission homepage.

17. crazyxzer0 macrumors 6502

no problems here. seeing 1.3MB/sec speeds on my 12mbit line :D

utorrent is still in beta and missing alot of features i used. biggest one that transmission has is move data file to another folder so you can continue to seed it without your download folder getting larger. utorrent windows had an option but the mac beta doesnt have this option yet. We'll see how utorrent fairs once it is out of beta. for now transmission works well.

18. EwanP macrumors newbie

utorrent ftw. I've been using transmission for a while and its never been up to scratch. utorrent is very fast and works perfectly.

19. messedkid macrumors 6502

messedkid

I haven't used many torrent clients, mainly just Transmission.
    What speeds are you guys getting when downloading with Transmission? Because I usually get 600 - 700 kbps with port open. Of course I only pick files that have alot of seeders, but I still find those speeds pretty decent.

20. Mpulsive81 macrumors 6502

21. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I'm using a nightly since 1.50 b1 is buggy on my Macbook.

22. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

The latest nightly versions of Transmission are fast and stable - and quicker than utorrent based on what I've seen today.

23. SolRayz macrumors 6502a

SolRayz

I dunno...I don't think we have any good options now as far torrent clients. I used transmission for a long time but no matter what settings i adjusted, dl speeds have mostly been abysmal. I tried utorrent and my dl speeds were generally better but the beta version has had a number of serious issues such as high cpu usage and bandwidth issues. Tired of hearing my fans go out of control in the middle of the night and then waking up to no internet browsing in the morning yet utorrent is still dl.:confused: Ive tried reducing global max connection settings. Pointless.

I remember I had issues with that very same thing on the windows version some time ago.