Transmission Help - Unique Problem

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by b0b4f377, Nov 2, 2009.

1. b0b4f377 macrumors newbie

I was almost certain I had a MR forum account, but apparently not. I've frequented MR for about 5 years now. I've done a forum search as well as a Google search, and I seem to have a pretty specific problem that nobody else seems to have...Hopefully someone here can provide some helpful information.

I'm using Transmission on my MBP to download Ubuntu to give it a whirl. I use cable internet with a speed of 5 mbps down/1 mbps up through an ISP that is not known to limit torrent traffic. I can start the torrent transfer, and the download gradually climbs its way to over 1MB/s. It will hover between 1.0-1.5 MB/s for about 10 seconds before shooting down to 500 KB/s and it will stay between 500-700 KB/s for the rest of the transfer, no matter how many peers join in. The interesting thing is I can pause the transfer and start it again, and it will do the same thing.

Here's what I've tried: using uTorrent instead, disabling UPnP on my router, having Transmission automatically map a port (56003), using a 3rd party firmware on my Linksys WT54GL router, and not limiting my upload speed at all. None of it has worked. I cannot figure out a way to keep the speed consistently up, even close to its full potential. So...any ideas?

2. SpeedFleX macrumors 6502

go in to the transmission settings and allow more peers to connect at once, up it maybe 50 more to see if anything changes speedwise

3. b0b4f377 thread starter macrumors newbie

So, I left the Global Max Connections at 1000, and set the Max Connections for New Transfers to 150, and no change :-/

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

It probably has nothing to do with your connection at all. Maybe someone seeding has some weird setup where they only allow a certain amount of upload over a certain period of time before throttling kicks in. Lots of corporate and university networks do this.

5. b0b4f377 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm willing to accept that there's nothing I can do if it is really out of my hands, but it just seems like it's something on my end since it doesn't matter how many peers are added to the transfer, it never climbs back up to over 1 MB/s.

6. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

You are getting confused between bytes and bits. Your internet connection speed is 5Megabits but your download speed is bytes. You get the amount of bytes when you divide bits by 8, so your internet speed is 5000Kilobits divided by 8 is 625KBytes. 625KiloBytes is your theoretical maximum download speed (depends on distance of server configuration etc) so everything greater than 625KB/s is a big plus.

Please let me know if you did not understand :p

7. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Well it's probably a units thing then. If your connection is advertised as "5 Mbps" then your maximum download speed is 5 megabit/s which translates to .625 MB/s (megabyte/s).

8. b0b4f377 thread starter macrumors newbie

Naw, I understood the whole bits/bytes thing, but if my download is supposed to be capped at 625 KB/s, why can it get up to more than double that speed? I can understand a little more, but double? :confused: Maybe I'm wrong on the exact speed I'm supposed to have, so what's a good way to get an accurate test? I've gone to Speedtest.net, and results from various servers range from 5-14 mbps down, not exactly helpful.