Transmission: internet hang-up

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jojoman, Apr 17, 2008.

1. jojoman macrumors newbie

Hi,

I'm not an expert on internet connections, but I have problem with the torrent client Transmission:

I've been using Transmission for a while, and it never gave me problems, but recently, whenever I turned on transmission, all of it sudden it seemed to suck up all the bandwidth, and while Transmission is still transferring files, I can no longer browse the internet or do some very simple tasks that do not require a lot of bandwidth.

I normally limit uploading to 20 kb/sec, and downloading is less than 50 kb/sec,(and I have this setting for a while, but it never gave me problem until recently.)

Does anybody know what the problem might be? Firewall? my ISP provider? my bittorrent client? my internet setup?

2. EvanLugh macrumors 68000

EvanLugh

Uh-Oh. Sounds to me like your ISP is throttling your bandwidth. Check here for your ISP.

3. ttopp macrumors regular

my girlfriends orange internet slows down to extremely slow speeds when using transmission but my o2 broadband still rockets along.. well if in no using the full bandwidth on transmission that is

point o note my top down has been 13meg and upload 1.7 meg joy :D

4. achtung! macrumors regular

the first thing i ask is, what is your line's speed? 'cause there could be a variety of reasons for this to happen... i use transmission also, but hey, i have 25mb line, so no probs at all. ;)