Transmission, Little Snitch, and Security

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by phased, Jul 24, 2010.

1. phased macrumors member

Jun 10, 2009
    hi there,

relative mac noob, absolute torrent noob here – with a few questions about getting torrents up and running, safely, on my MBP.

from what i can tell, it's easy enough to get transmission (utorrent is the other program i'm looking at; but that's another story) working but what i'm most concerned about is leaving my computer open to the world / infections / etc. i know macs are no where near as susceptible to nasties as PCs, but i've had such bad experiences on windows that i'd prefer to exercise a deal of caution here.

i now have the inherent mac firewall turned on (is 'stealth mode' worth enabling?), but i've also been told little snitch is another worthwhile program i should have in my arsenal. mind you, i don't really know how it works, let alone in unison with torrents.

to be frank, i don't even know the questions i need to be asking here, but if anyone could point me in the right direction, or better yet, list some steps, i'd be greatly appreciative :)

i've been putting off getting into torrents for a good year or so now, but figure it's time to take the plunge.
  2. Intell macrumors P6

Jan 24, 2010
    I'm not sure how much advice you'll get here. As there are a good number of illegal torrents.
  3. phased thread starter macrumors member

Jun 10, 2009
    Well, I guess I'm talking more about the programs themselves and less about the torrents.

If anyone still wants to help, i'd appreciate it.
  4. sadcamper macrumors regular

May 19, 2010
    Users downloading torrents only have access to the files you're uploading...not your whole computer.

IMO, Little Snitch is a pain...if you're not comfortable with your software sending information back to the host, then it may be worthwhile.

If you're concerned about the files you're downloading via torrent, get a virus program (ClamXav is free) and scan them prior to opening.